NEVER been able to swich an engine from the DDC factory #3 setting

Started by Bill1462, November 29, 2014, 12:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill1462

I own a Bachmann DDC transformer and I am very disappointed with it. I use it at Christmas and have owned it for going on three years. I have NEVER been able to switch a "DDC inside engine" from the #3 factory setting to any other number. A factory representative at one of the train store shows told me to use the "Function key," but it still does not work. I don't know what to do. Can someone give me step by step instructions?

Bill1462

It is E-Z Command Control Unit, Item # 44901.

I might also add that I have a Bachmann HO GG1, Pennsylvania RR engine. It makes the engine sounds with my analog controller, but it does nothing but run around the track with the DDC unit. The lights don't even work. As you can see, I am not a happy camper with this unit. It's supposed to do more, but in reality it does FAR less.

Do any of these units well, or do you really need to buy something that is much more expensive?

AGSB

Bill1462

Okay, wrong nomenclature. DCC. I still would like to have an answer. Is there a higher level unit that provides sounds and the ability to switch for setting #3?

I can't get this one to do any of those things.

Bucksco

To change an address you simply push down the locos address (number 3) and hold it down then push the stop button. The red light will flash. Push the number you wish to change it to (the loco will lurch forwards slightly) then press the stop button again to restart the system. This is illustrated in the video listed above. If it doesn't work you may have a problem with the controller - contact the service department.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

AGSB

Quote from: Bill1462 on November 29, 2014, 05:05:54 PM
Okay, wrong nomenclature. DCC. I still would like to have an answer. Is there a higher level unit that provides sounds and the ability to switch for setting #3?

I can't get this one to do any of those things.

Did you watch the videos?

riff99

I use the same controller.  Everything is explained in the videos provided above by Yardman or by the CD that should have come with the controller.  They are one in the same.  Sounds and such are provided by the type of locomotive you've purchased.  I have three DCC sound locomotives.  The rest are mostly just DCC locos without sound installed.  Once a sound loco is placed on the track, the sounds will start automatically.  Each button on the controller signifies a different sound that the decoder, installed within the locomotive, will activate.  Remember that the yellow FUNCTION button needs to be pressed and the light flashing next to the locomotives address #, even if it's #3, for the different sounds to be heard.  Click the FUNCTION button again to turn off the flashing light to resume normal control of the locomotive.  I understand that there are higher-end controllers (like Digitrax) that will play even more sounds according to the type of sound decoder installed within the locomotive.  Of course, with more 'candy' to the controller or locomotive, look for the unit to be higher in price.  This controller, its extensions, and DCC E-Z Track layout works great for our budget.  The kids love it as do I!  I hope that helps a bit...

Bill1462

Thank you for your response.

These A and B units do make a sound when they placed on the track with this controller.

This GG1 unit makes no sound at all although it does make the running sounds with the analog transformer I have. There was a list with sound function codes included with this unit. None of them work with the DCC transformer.

I have had this unit for two years, but never installed on my main layout because wiring issues (there is no on-off switch, I have to run an extension across the room under my layout and you must unplug it to turn it off) and because it is has never worked. Since the warranty has long since passed I guess I'm stuck with it. If I do try the DCC concept again, I think I will look into a better unit.

Bill1462

Okay I got the GG-1 unit switched to position #1, but the engine still moves forward (but not backward) regardless which of the 9 buttons are engaged. How are you supposed to control each engine if they all move forward when the stop button is off?

Bucksco

If you were able to change the loco address from number 3 to number 1 the controller is functioning normally. If you had both engines on the track when you changed the address then you changed them both to address number 1 and they are both responding to commands sent to that address. It would be beneficial to watch the videos to see how to operate the controller. EZ command is the easiest DCC system on the market to operate so buying a more advanced controller might be even more confusing.
To signal the sound functions in the locomotives you must first push the yellow function button - the red light will flash telling you that you are in function mode and the number keys become function keys that will set off the sounds (#1 bell, # 2  horn, # 3 short horn, etc...). You will push the yellow function button again to get out of function mode.
Watch the videos - it will help you to understand how the controller works.

Bill1462

No, I only had one engine, the GG-1, on the track in addition to a few cars, which I presume do not count. That unit still does not make any sound of any type while it is on the track, but I know it works because it makes the sound on my main layout with the standard transformer.

When I bought the A and B unit engines, the clerk at the store advised me to always keep those two on position #3 since they run together.

Bucksco

Call the service department on Monday and ask for Rodney (215) 533-1600. He will be happy to walk you through it. Watching the videos is also still highly recommended.

Bill1462

Thank you! By experimentation I have been able to get most of these features to work.