News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0

Started by EBT17, December 01, 2014, 03:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBT17

Does Bachman have any plans to produce an unlettered version of its 2-6-0 with dcc/sound?

Bucksco

ACY

It is fairly simple to remove the preexisting lettering and add your own anyways.

EBT17

What's the best way to do that?

electrical whiz kid

Sand it off!  (No, just kidding!!).
I have had success with alcohol, and a mild soap wash with a soft toothbrush when done.  I would contact Bachmann to finds out what might work, or maybe Jonathan or another of the "experts" on here has a solution that works.  Good luck.
RIch C.

EBT17

Thanks whiz kid. I will experiment with  this.  Anyone else have any success removing factory lettering?

jward

i haven't tried this with bachmann items, but it worked well with other brands. get some denatured alcohol, dip a q tip in it and rub the lettering until it breaks up. most model trains are pad printed with ink rather than decalled, the alcohol dissolves the ink.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

As I freelance and have my own colour scheme, I have had to strip the lettering from dozens of steam locos and the paint from literally dozens of diesels models.  More so these days since few manufactures, including sadly, Bachmann, no longer provided undec models.

The very best stripper for both lettering and paint on plastic models is 99% Isopropanol.

It is safe on all plastics, contains no oils and will strip the paint from a fully immersed body shell overnight.

It will also strip any lettering from painted bodies if applied with a cotton swab, as described by jward below.  If you are careful, you can do this without damage to the underlying paint.

99% ISP is, in my opinion, far superior to denatured alcohol and way, way better than rubbing alcohol as rubbing alcohol contains oils, which is what makes it rubbing alcohol and oil is the very last thing you want to get onto the body of anything you are going to repaint of redecal.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

I can attest to how well 91% works as I am currently stripping an Athearn Blue Box F7 shell.  Tried spray on oven cleaner at first and it did next to nothing.  Put a little 91% in a zip lock bag with the shell and it was just minutes before the paint started coming off.  It did not take a whole tubful of 91% like you see people do online, just enough to "swish" around the shell.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 02, 2014, 07:29:09 AM
I can attest to how well 91% works as I am currently stripping an Athearn Blue Box F7 shell.  Tried spray on oven cleaner at first and it did next to nothing.  Put a little 91% in a zip lock bag with the shell and it was just minutes before the paint started coming off.  It did not take a whole tubful of 91% like you see people do online, just enough to "swish" around the shell.

Excellent suggestion, I'll try that next time I have to strip a body.  :)

jbrock27

You're welcome Rog.  The best parts were, it was easy to find the 91% in a discount store (Walfart), it was inexpensive and not a lot was needed.  Picture putting the item in the bottom of the bag in the upright position with the top open, pour in just enough to cover the item, scrunch the bag to get the air out and then zip it up.  Once ziped up you can move the alcohol around the shell or shake it  (gently) to get it all around.

I do the same thing to marinade meats, sans the isopropyl :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

For removing just lettering or numbers, I have seen on YouTube, someone using an exacto knife blade, the kind that looks like a battle axe, not the # 11 blade.  They gently scrapped the decal off.  Takes patience.
Keep Calm and Carry On

grsman

See the following discussion:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,27957.0.html
I have used Super Clean with great success.
Tom

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
Hi; where are you getting the 99% denatured alcohol?  I can and have on hand, denatured from Home Depot.  Is that the  same thing you are using?  I have been doing this when needed for the past thirty-odd years using iso alcohol and it is tough going sometimes.
RIch C.

rogertra

I do not use "Denatured Alcohol", I use 99% Isopropanol, it's not the same thing.

I get mine from a pharmacy, it comes in 500ml plastic containers.

Mine is "Life" brand but that may be a Canadian brand.

Denatured alcohol, also called methylated spirits is used as a solvent and as fuel for alcohol burners and camping stoves, hence it is NOT good for stripping paint from plastic models because of the solvents added that could melt the plastic.

Isopropyl alcohol is a chemical compound and this is what denatured alcohol is made from but with other ingredients added. It does not have solvents nor any other ingredients added.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Roger T.