News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Detailing the mogul

Started by Trainman203, December 07, 2014, 03:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

I have two of these little engines which are pretty nice, but I feel that there are 4 weak detail points.

1.  No pilot deck.  I have added one.
2.  Very undersized headlight.  I've added a visor which bulks it up a little.

Now that leaves the last two issues.

3.  The bell is a crude and oversized part.  I have a bell from Bachmann's parts department meant for either the consolidation or the decapods, can't remember but it is a better proportioned part.
4.  There is no whistle.  I have two whistles from Bachmann , one is meant for the decapod  that goes  into the top of the auxiliary dome, the other is intended for the ten  wheeler meant to go into the side of the steam dome.

Several  questions arise.

1.  What is the best way to remove the bell?  Has anyone done that?  Can it just be pulled out?  Or does it need to be very carefully cut off?
2.  Can the smallest pop valve in the auxiliary dome just be pulled out? To put the decapod whistle in the hole?  
3.  Is the boiler casting plastic or die cast metal?  If plastic, drilling is easy.  If die cast metal, it is an entirely different thing.

Any input would be appreciated.

Irbricksceo

Is this teh Alco Mogul or the USRA 0-6-0 that just had a pilot truck screwed on?
Modeling NYC in N

Trainman203

rogertra

Trainman203

Followed your example and added pilot decks to my two 2-6-0s this evening and yes, it makes a difference.

Next is whistle, and I'll wade through my parts box for that or I'll order next time I place a brass parts order with my favourite pusher.  The bell?  I think I can live with but boiler bands are the next challenge to install without messing up the paint job.

Happy New Year.

Roger T.

Doneldon

Roger-

Strip brass, styrene or thick paper. Paint before installation. Piece o' cake.

-- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on January 01, 2015, 12:18:21 AM
Roger-

Strip brass, styrene or thick paper. Paint before installation. Piece o' cake.

-- D

I agree, it's me messing up with the glue I'm afraid of.  :(

Happy New Year.

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Trainman;
WHat did you use for a pilot deck?  I have about six of them and want to do some rearranging.  I personally think the headlight looks better on the smokebox for one thing.  All in all, the model is great, they run like a champ.  I think Bachmann outdid themselves with this one.
SGT C.

Trainman203

I had some scrap black styrene sheet I used.  It's kind of thick though.  Thin sheet brass would be better.  Someone may make some safety non-skid check plate stock, that would be good too.

The headlight really needs the visor, or to be bigger, in my opinion.  If Bachmann fixed that, added the deck plate, used the same bell casting on the 2-8-0, and put a whistle on it, this great running model would be complete detail wise.  But some  people undoubtably like it the way it is.  So all is fine with me.

Trainman203

Hey Roger, painting the adhesive backed part of a "post it" note black, cutting  it into boiler band strips, and applying might be a glue-free way to make the bands. I'm going to try it on an old Athearn tank car first.

electrical whiz kid

Trainman;
I picked some up about five or so years ago.  If one uses really good magnifiers, they might be able to make the "oversized" diamonds on the tread.  ICCL!  It looks good.  I used it on the deck plates between the locomotive and the tender.  I have been using Cal-Scale (found now with Bowser) brass investment castings, and used a really neat switching/road pilot, headlamp, compressors, etc, on the SY (green card) Mike, along with a brass USRA cab I got from Al (Greenway) at the W. Springfield show.  There are also a fair amount of parts through Evil Bay, but it has been my experience that you really have to watch it there.
I still have the second SY slumbering in it's original box on the shelf...But one of these days...
SGT C.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on January 02, 2015, 06:13:07 PM
Hey Roger, painting the adhesive backed part of a "post it" note black, cutting  it into boiler band strips, and applying might be a glue-free way to make the bands. I'm going to try it on an old Athearn tank car first.

Good idea.  In addition, I'd then spray the boiler with Dullcote or equivalent matte spray to help hold them down.  I'll try it on a piece of PVC or Evergreen plastic tube and see how that goes.  

Headlight replacement is a the next task as the one they used is awful.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

Let us know what you replace the headlight with.  The stock one looks like an N scale headlight.  However, the LEDs in these lights are the best Bachmann ever used. Maybe they'll start using it in the 2-8-0.

rogertra

I have now modified my two Alco 2-6-0.

I previously added the pilot deck as first suggested by trainman 203.

I have removed the funny looking headlight and added a new one to the centre of the smokebox.  I'm sorry but I do not recall the manufacturer of the headlights as I found them in my details drawer.  They are black plastic and have a transparent headlight with a small diameter rod through the back.  As luck would have it, the transparent rod lines up exactly with the rod Bachmann use in this locomotive.

I moved the bell from between the steam and sand dome and temporarily relocated it on the front of the smokebox where the old headlight was. It will be replaced as soon as I get time with a better model bell. Fortuitously, the base of the bell happens to mask the light pipe for the old headlight.  :)

Some time ago I'd added "canvas" sunshades over the cab windows as I do on all my steam.

Still to do is to add boiler bands and a whistle, paint the headlamp number plate red and add "brass" numbers white numbers in the headlamp side number boards and finally add classification lamps either side of the smokebox.  I may add a touch more weathering but as these are branch passenger, sometimes branch freight engines, they will not be heavily weathered as suits passenger engines, even branch engines.

Someone asked for the driving wheel dimensions in another post, they are five feet as near as I could measure with my scale rule.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
That is one heck of a great looking engine!!!  Great work!
SGT C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on January 03, 2015, 08:10:23 AM
Roger;
That is one heck of a great looking engine!!!  Great work!
SGT C.

Thanks. 

Still a little more work to do.  They are great running engines BTW, too bad the detail is lacking.

Cheers

Roger T.