News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Questions about the discontinued

Started by Simon Greasly, October 22, 2007, 02:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Greasly

quick query here about some of those bachmann trains that have come and gone.
Recently i just purchased an old Bachmann Amtrak Plasser and that thing runs wild on my track it is quite possibly the fastest running thing on there. I've heard that other people have had trouble with theirs so i could understand why they were discontinued. My question is though what prototype it is based on.
Second why exactly were the N scale Doodlebug and Metroliner discontinund i've heard that they were some of greatest bachmann had to offer.
If anyone can help me out that be great. also if you want to post you're own thing about discontinued bachmann do so here.
City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, and the Mallard. Who will be the next to break the speed.

taz-of-boyds

Simon,

No one else has replied, but I can't help you with the prototype.  But I can at least give you my thoughts about a company discontinuing a product.

First, companies tend to consider the basis for their marketing and product development decisions as proprietary (that is none of our business), because that is part of what makes or breaks their business.

But in general, the business needs to make money.  After all not many of us can afford to work for someone for free, and stockholders only invest their money to benefit from it.  So if a product is losing money, or not making enough money to make up for earlier losses, or other products will make more money, or starting up a new production run is not likely to make money, and the penalty for irritating customers is small enough, then that in general is the end of that product.

I have never looked for the Metroliner (though I had one over 30 years ago in my first stint in model railroading), but the Doodlebug tends to show up on eBay.  I don't know so much about products that have been discontinued.  But I am concerned about the products that didn't quite get there like the ten-wheeler and the Russian decapod.  :( 

Oh well, if they believed the market was there I feel they would build it.  Maybe the demand will increase some as time goes by.

Charles

GlennW

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/em80c.html

The Spookshow site is the best reference to any Nscale loco. I'm not sure what prototype it follows. Plasser may have some self propelled track testing equipment.

The Metroliners were introduced sometime in the 1960's. THe model may continue on in the Amfleet shells. I would hope new molds would have been made since then.

The doodlebug was a very nice model. I would like to see Bachmann bring it back.

Simon Greasly

okay thx guys for your input i guess the plasser must have been a yard master's many tools of the trade. is there anyway to reproduce the metroliner using the amfleet coaches?
City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, and the Mallard. Who will be the next to break the speed.

fieromike

Quote from: Simon Greasly on October 22, 2007, 02:09:39 PM
quick query here about some of those bachmann trains that have come and gone.
Recently i just purchased an old Bachmann Amtrak Plasser and that thing runs wild on my track it is quite possibly the fastest running thing on there. I've heard that other people have had trouble with theirs so i could understand why they were discontinued. My question is though what prototype it is based on.
Second why exactly were the N scale Doodlebug and Metroliner discontinund i've heard that they were some of greatest bachmann had to offer.
If anyone can help me out that be great. also if you want to post you're own thing about discontinued bachmann do so here.
I can only part of your questions.  The Bachmann Plasser is loosely based on a Plasser track inspection car such as this:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/amtkN68401.jpg

The UP, SP, and others had similar vehicles.

Mike

GlennW

The Amfleet body shell follows a similar line with the Metroliners. Missing from the lineup is a cab control car. There are some other differences, with the doors on each end, & the diner or club car section.

The most obvious difference is the lack of a motor unit in the Metroliner consist. Perhaps an Acela motor could be a donor chassis to work. Also, there are no electrics like the Mighty Mouse to pull a train with. At this time, it appears you will have to wait for Kato to bring out their GG1. Then you may assemble a 1970's early Amtrak run with a GG1 pulling some Heritage cars & some Metroliner/Amfleet cars in a Amtrak Phase 1 scheme.

There may be some Metroliner sets on *bay or at swap meets at times. The motors would be poor by today's standards if they run at all.

Simon Greasly

I see okay well that answers those questions but what about the Bachmann TGV how long ago were those discontinued?

ELSfan503

Honestly, they should bring back the n scale golden spike that would be cool