News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need some coupler help.

Started by taco006, December 13, 2014, 10:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taco006

Hello everyone,
just found my old HO Bachmann F9 ( I believe it's the white box one) that I received as a Christmas present about 20 years ago. I want to upgrade the couplers to the Ez mate II couplers, however the old horn hook ones were just screwed on. Looks like I need a coupler cover, as it is a #0 screw and too small for the opening on the coupler, just do not know which one. Does anyone know specifically which part I would need from the parts store to finish this mini project?
Thank you and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Joe R.

jbrock27

I have not done this, but I am willing to bet someone knows how.  Have you first searched in GOOGLE for a "how to"?
Your ability to post a picture of the underside, of the couplers, may bear the fruit of at least a suggestion on how.

Happy Holidays to you and yours as well!
Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

I think Kadee #37 will work.  go to kadee.com.  On the left side click couplers.  Then ho.  Then go to the end and click coupler conversion.   click on Bachmann, then f9 and  see if that is what you need.

taco006

Ok maybe this will help. It looks as if the bottom of the draft gear box is missing, this is what I need. I already have the EZ Mate Mark II Coupler I just need the bottom portion of the draft Gear box. Does anyone know which part from the Bachmann parts store this is? I have seen the Coupler Cover (HO F7-A/B, FT-A/B, F9), I also saw the Coupler Mount (HO F7-A/B, FT-A/B, F9). Which part do I need?
Thanks.

Joe R.

jbrock27

I already had a general idea of what they look like Little Joe
The coupler box is part of the truck, correct?
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

If his cars have Talgo trucks, there's the problem.  The coupler boxes tend to sag.

Cut the coupler boxes from the trucks and install Kadees on the body.

Cheers.

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Hi;
I make it an iron-clad rule:  All coupling systems will be (A) kadee, (B) will have draft gear, (C) will be-and this last one is no exceptions-put to muster at the Kadee coupler gauge.  Why kadee?  They are metal, and are my personal preference-and I have tried 'em all.
I have most makes of cars-including Silver Streak, OK Cub, Varney, et al.  Couplers will ALL couple together. 
My advice, for whatever it is worth:  Install draft gear-which is a box and plate-and while you're at it, get some shims
-again, made by Kadee.  To me, the wisest thing you can do is just that, and you won't regret it.
Rich C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 14, 2014, 04:39:17 PM
Hi;
I make it an iron-clad rule:  All coupling systems will be (A) kadee, (B) will have draft gear, (C) will be-and this last one is no exceptions-put to muster at the Kadee coupler gauge.  Why kadee?  They are metal, and are my personal preference-and I have tried 'em all.
I have most makes of cars-including Silver Streak, OK Cub, Varney, et al.  Couplers will ALL couple together. 
My advice, for whatever it is worth:  Install draft gear-which is a box and plate-and while you're at it, get some shims
-again, made by Kadee.  To me, the wisest thing you can do is just that, and you won't regret it.
Rich C.

100% in agreement.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

R & R boys, before you get too excited, the OP has a question/problem specific to his old school Bachmann F9 locomotive  ::).
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 14, 2014, 04:39:17 PM
I make it an iron-clad rule:  All coupling systems will be (A) kadee, (B) will have draft gear, (C) will be-and this last one is no exceptions-put to muster at the Kadee coupler gauge.

Rich-

I'm with you. I've never found better couplers than Kadees so that's the way I make up trains, too.

I understand that modelers with a ton of rolling sock to convert see going the Kadee route a daunting one but, in my opinion,
it's well worth the effort. Properly installed Kadees on everything will eliminate coupler problems completely. I've been a fan
since 1959.
                     -- D

electrical whiz kid

Doneldon;
Actually, it isn't all that daunting; the prices of kadee equipment have dropped dramatically.  You can find deals right through them on line.  Other than that, as I see it, the daunting part will be the mechanics of the conversion process itself.  To me (and this again, is just my opinion) the process of conversion should be both challenging and interesting, as one can see one's abilities grow as this is done.  Mistakes?  Heck, we all make them; so that is nothing to get worried over.  This is part of the learning process of this hobby.  To me, anyone who has not even attempted a kit-say-of the old Intermountain variety should at least, give it a bit of a go.  Likes, preferences aside; a lot of hobbyists like this part of the hobby.  
Rich C.

Doneldon

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on December 15, 2014, 01:23:27 PM
Doneldon;
Actually, it isn't all that daunting; the prices of kadee equipment have dropped dramatically.  You can find deals right through them on line.  Other than that, as I see it, the daunting part will be the mechanics of the conversion process itself.  To me (and this again, is just my opinion) the process of conversion should be both challenging and interesting, as one can see one's abilities grow as this is done.  Mistakes?  Heck, we all make them; so that is nothing to get worried over.  This is part of the learning process of this hobby.  To me, anyone who has not even attempted a kit-say-of the old Intermountain variety should at least, give it a bit of a go.  Likes, preferences aside; a lot of hobbyists like this part of the hobby.  
Rich C.

Rich-

By daunting I meant the prospect of converting 30 or 40 or more "heritage" pieces of rolling stock to Kadees. That can look
like, and be, a big, time-consuming job. I'm at a point in my life that costs don't matter much but I can certainly understand
that a new modeler with a bunch of cars to convert, children and a mortgage might look at 20 or 30 pairs of couplers as
a significant expense. I enjoy installing Kadees myself. It feels like the right thing to do and there are a few challenges now
and then to keep things interesting.
                                                        -- D