News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnouts

Started by bsulzbach, December 17, 2014, 07:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsulzbach

Hi, i am just starting to build my first N scale layout and im creating a yard with multibale tracks and im having issues wiring the switches on the turnouts, can someone direct me to a site that has wiring schamatics.
thanks.

Albert in N

A first step would be to read the turnout instructions, as well as purchase (or borrow) related how-to-do it magazines from Model Railroader magazine (Kalmbach Publishing Co.).  Model Railroader has a nice website and does offer on line sale if a hobby shop is not available.  Generally, turnouts are either power routing (like Bachmann E-Z track) or non power routing.  Power routing means that once a turnout closes off a section of track, it also kills the power to that closed track area.  Likewise non power routing (like Atlas snap track) allows all tracks connected to remain powered regardless of how the turnout is set.  Most power routing turnouts can be set for non power routing by following the turnout instructions.  Track choice depends upon personal preference.  Another factor relates to choice of analog (DC) or DCC to power the rails.  DC is variable direct current and DCC uses constant voltage Alternating Current. Consider also other forums, such as Railwire, Trainboard, or others (Google "N scale forums"). 

bsulzbach

My son and i thank you both for your input.