News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SuperChief

Started by New2N, December 21, 2014, 08:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New2N

:'(
I just bought a Bachmann SuperChief "N" scale set and the engine will not couple to the cars and some cars do not couple with each other.  Suggestions?

gatrhumpy

Are the couplers rapido couplers or knuckle couplers?

New2N

I am not sure, they are the original ones that were on the engine and cars.  How do I tell the difference?

gatrhumpy

Knuckle couplers are similar to what you'd find in the real world. Round and looks like a closed "C" coupler. The rapido couplers are more square and similar to an L shape.

Rapido couplers won't couple to knuckle couplers.

Is this a brand new set that was unopened?

Albert in N

If this is the current Super Chief train set, it has dummy knuckle couplers.  Sometimes it is necessary to lift the end of a car or locomotive to couple onto another car.  Supposedly you can push the cars together to couple, but that doesn't always work.  Being dummy knuckle couplers, these will not uncouple and cars need to be lifted by hand to remove.  This is a beginner train set.  If magnetic uncoupling is important to you, Bachmann offers magnetic uncoupler trucks without wheels.  Simply pop the old wheel axle into these and attach the new wheel sets.  The locomotive will require short shank couplers from Bachmann, which may or may not fit.  Bachmann N magnetic couplers are oversized and may not interface well with magnetic couplers made by competitors.  Then you will need magnetic uncoupler track sections.  Personnally, I would stick with the dummy couplers and simply enjoy running trains.  This is a rugged train set that allows young hands to handle without much damage.  I enjoyed Bachmann standard trains with dummy knuckle couplers for over a year when my wife's sister and her cat lived with us.   A cat on the layout was not a disaster.  Scale model trains with magnetic couplers from other sources (Micro-Trains Line) are nice, but fragile.   Scale N locomotives and rolling stock will last for many years if handled carefully; it just is not meant for young children.

New2N

I'll try lifting the cars to couple them.

:D
Thank you so much. You made my day.  It worked to lift them into place. I also place the EZ track on the dining room table.

Off tomorrow to get another set and some more track and switches.  Don't be surprised if I ask for help with setting up two trains on shared track.

Albert in N

Sounds like you will have fun with the Super Chief set.   Bachmann's Home Page also shows a dual locomotive set with DCC and magnetic couplers, but the price goes up with the extra locomotive and features.  The Super Chief set is nice plus economical.  I have the earlier High Ball set which has Union Pacific F-9 loco and caboose with different cars, plus the Thunder Valley set with GP-40 diesel locomotive.  Also, I have other separate sale Bachmann non-operating dummy coupler locomotives and freight cars.  These couplers will interface with competitor (Atlas, Athearn, and Micro-Trains Line) rolling stock and locomotives with operating magnetic couplers for running trains.  We have our own cat, a 16-pound muscular black tom cat, but he does not jump onto the layout.  He will sit in my lap or on a stool and watch me run trains.  Although I have plenty of more fragile highly-detailed trains from Atlas, Kato, and Micro-Trains Line with magnetic couplers, I still run the Bachmann train set equipment at times.  If we have company with children, these trains go back into their boxes and trays.  Then I put the sturdy Bachmann train set equipment onto the layout.  That way I can run trains for company without fear of inquisitive visitor hands.  Yes, adults not familiar with electric trains often have a tendency to touch things or pick them up.  No harm done with dummy couplers and sturdy trains.