News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-4

Started by guslcp, January 18, 2015, 10:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guslcp

I was given a B'mann 2-8-4 loco (item # 50902-No sound) for Christmas.  Beautiful loco. but...
When I placed it on the rails for the first time I noticed it made a noise which you might take for a chuff, but being a no-sound loco, that was ruled out.  What's more, it only does it consistently when going down a slight incline. It will make the sound every now and then  on level track.
I figured it might need breaking-in to get rid of the noise, but after several hours of running the noise remains.  Might it require lubrication..??  I would think that a new loco would be factory-oiled and run without a hitch...If a lube is required, is Labelle 108 oil plastic-friendly..??  And which parts of the power train would require oiling..??
Thanks for any help you may provide.

Gus.

rogertra

Are you sure it's not a "ticking" noise?

If it's a "ticking" noise it could mean one (or more) of the brass/bronze electrical pick ups on one (or more) of the driving wheels is not rubbing on the back(s) of the wheel rim(s) but is rubbing on the back of the wheel(s) spokes.

It requires a fine pointed pair of tweezers and much care to fix this by moving the contacts gently, very, very gently, back on the wheel rim(s).

Cheers

Roger T.

Len

To answer your other question, yes, LaBelle 108 is plastic safe.

Personally, I find 108 a bit thin and better for 'N' and HO slot cars. For HO equipment I use the #107 oil.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

guslcp

Roger,
It's definitely a rubbing, continuous noise...No ticking is heard.  I checked the power pick-ups and they are touching the rims, not the spokes.

Gus.

Len

I've had a couple of loco's where the flywheel either got pushed on too far, or not far enough. You might want to check to make sure it's not rubbing on anything. Also that the motor is sitting level, and the worm gear isn't rubbing on the worm cover. About the only other thing I can think of is possibly a wheelset is out of gauge and rubbing on something it shouldn't.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

guslcp

Len,
Thanks for the suggestions...but those possible causes would be apparent at all times(I think...) irrespective of level or graded track.  The problem only arises when going downhill.
I checked for wheel gauge and they're all in gauge..
So, where do I go from here..??
Gus

guslcp

Further development....
I tried running the engine in reverse, but in the same direction (downhill), and the noise is almost totally eliminated.  This might well point to the drive shaft shifting and rubbing against the shell. I'll try running it tomorrow without the shell to check how much of a shift there might be. (I've had all the "fun" I can stand for one day...)

Gus.

P.D. Does Bachmann monitor this board..??

Bucksco

Quote from: guslcp on January 19, 2015, 09:52:37 PM

P.D. Does Bachmann monitor this board..??

This is a service issue. you would be best served by contacting the service department and speaking with a service technician.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

The service technicians are not responsible for monitoring the online forum.

guslcp

Good news..!!
Not being one to leave "bad enough" alone, nor wanting to wait for a couple of weeks if I sent the loco in for service, I decided to "track" the problem down and see if it was fixable.

I began by oiling the axles of the main drivers and leading and trailing trucks.  No go...The "knocking" remained. I then oiled the axles of the tender trucks.  Same result...

During all my testing I also noted that it made the knocking  noise on some curves, where the drivers shift laterally.  Hmmm...What if the drivers were bumping against the valve gear when they moved laterally..??  I decided to oil all the valve gear "joints"....Eureka..!!  That did the trick..!!  She now runs quietly, like a good engine should  :)

Ideally these joints should be greased, but I ran out of modeling grease some time ago.  Does anyone who might carry it..??  I used to have some from my AF days, but apparently I finished (or misplaced it..).

Thanks for your help.

Gus.

jbrock27

Good for you.  Glad to hear your persistence paid off.

I like to use Super Reel Grease found at places like Kmart and Walfart.  It is plastic safe, has no petroleum in it and is inexpensive.  Comes in a tube.
Keep Calm and Carry On

guslcp

Thanks for the tip.  I'll check Wally-World today.

Gus

jbrock27

You're welcome.
Good shopping to you!

PS-looks like they have the stuff under the South Bend label.  $2.49, 1/2 oz tube.  Grey tube.  Check the specs but it looks just like what I was referring to, just under a diffident label.
Keep Calm and Carry On

guslcp

Thanks for the update...But I found my original tube..!!  Trains running smoothly now   :)