News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding DCC to a DCC Ready GG-1

Started by tintojim, January 27, 2015, 02:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintojim

I purchased a DCC Ready GG-1 last spring, and am getting ready to convert the system to DCC.  The diagrams that came with the locomotive are not extremely helpful in showing where things go, but I think I can figure it out once I get started.  My question is what are the available Bachmann decoders to install, and what are the pros / cons of each.  I'm also trying to impress my 6 year old, so the more available whistle's and bells the better!

WoundedBear

Bachmann pretty much only has one decoder available.....their basic model......it comes with or without the 8 pin plug and singularly or in a three pack.

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=264_274&products_id=1827

There are other manufacturers of decoders out there.....Soundtraxx for one. We aren't allowed to mention names other than Bachmann or Soundtraxx here on this forum, but a net search will turn up other options, including sound, for your loco.

Sid

ACY

Quote from: tintojim on January 27, 2015, 02:08:43 PM
My question is what are the available Bachmann decoders to install, and what are the pros / cons of each.  I'm also trying to impress my 6 year old, so the more available whistle's and bells the better!
Like mentioned above Bachmann only has one decoder available for your locomotive. I suggest the one with the 8 pin-plug since your locomotive has an 8 pin socket.
Your only 2 options are item #44913 or #44914.
Bachmann does not make any decoders with sound for HO scale, with the exception of a special add on device only for the B&O EM-1 (articulated 2-8-8-4).
If you are interested in adding sound, you are probably looking at a minimum of $150 since there are not many decoders out there with the appropriate sounds for a GG-1. Not to mention you would need to purchase and install a speaker as well if you wanted sound.

Len

You'll still need to provide a decoder, Bachmann or otherwise, but Dallee Electronics makes a sound system specificall for electric locos such as the GG-1, AEM-7, etc. The sound module can be seen here: http://www.dallee.com/dc_electric.htm

The instructions for a variety of installation in DC, AC, and DCC locos are here: http://www.dallee.com/PDFs/DCV3-ELEC-r11.pdf

With a DCC installation various sounds can be controlled using the decoders function outputs. With an 8-pin plug-n-play decoder installation you'll have to figure out where on the PC board to make various connections to the sound module.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

an aside...
The GG-1 being electric has few sounds to impress anyone.

Suggest you consider a steam or diesel model locomotive for their sounds.

ACY

If you want sound perhaps try the Bachmann sound value ALCO 2-6-0 which will be far more impressive to your son, with the "chuff", whistle and bell. MB Klein and other shops have had them on sale for around $100-130.

Photo credit to MB Klein
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-Alco-2-6-0-Lackawanna-DCC-p/bac-51813.htm

Reinhard S

Hi.

I agree with ACY.  The electrics are beautiful units but the sounds are boring.  The Bachmann Sound Value ALCO 2-6-0 sounds great and runs smooth.  The Bachmann Sound Value diesels (although I do not have one yet), I am told, sound great and are smooth runners as well.  The price of the Sound Value locos are very reasonable.

All the best.

Reinhard

rogertra

Quote from: Reinhard S on January 27, 2015, 08:29:20 PM
Hi.

I agree with ACY.  The electrics are beautiful units but the sounds are boring.  The Bachmann Sound Value ALCO 2-6-0 sounds great and runs smooth.  The Bachmann Sound Value diesels (although I do not have one yet), I am told, sound great and are smooth runners as well.  The price of the Sound Value locos are very reasonable.

All the best.

Reinhard

I have two of the 2-6-0s and they run really well.  Of course, with mine, I've added the missing details but that's my preference.

Cheers

Roger T.