News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How do I get an HO loco to smoke?

Started by Michaelfrank27613, January 30, 2015, 09:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaelfrank27613

Hi folks, i recently purchased a Spectrum 4-4-0 with DCC but can't seem to get it to smoke. I added a few drops down the stack and ran it for a few min. and didn't see anything. This is my first steam train in years so I'm not familiar with any differences that these new models may have (i.e. amount of time needed to heat up, how much fluid to add, is there an on/off switch, etc.)

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Most Bachmann engines don't have smoke generators. The only ones that do are the Standard Line USRA engines which are the 0-6-0, 2-6-0 (the 0-6-0 but with a pilot truck. Not the Sound Value ALCo Version) and the 2-6-2 (which is the 0-6-0/2-6-0 but with a trailing truck added as well as the pilot truck). The rest of the engines from Bachmann (Standard and Spectrum lines) would have to be modified to have smoke generators.

Michaelfrank27613

That's disappointing, here's a link for the product description, guess I didn't understand the lingo enough to realize that it didn't smoke. Thank you for the info!

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-Spectrum-HO-80104-Baldwin-Modern-4-4-0-p/bac-80104.htm

jbrock27

No loss, smoke is not the best feature to have anyway; makes the track dirty.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

In do not see anywhere in the item description where it mentions it having a smoke unit. The description reads:
QuoteDCC-equipped for speed, direction, and lighting (8-pin plug) Die-cast boiler, chassis, and frame Cog V-belt drive Operating headlight All-metal Walschaert valve gear Finescale metal detail parts including separately applied bell, whistle, domes, and piping Detailed backhead RP25 metal wheels E-Z Mate Mark II couplers on front and rear.
Where did you see smoke unit in that description?

The only HO Bachmann locomtives that are currently produced that have smoke are the 0-6-0 (with tender), 2-6-0 (standard line non sound), and 2-6-2. You can also get a inaccurate Union Pacific 4-8-4 from the Overland Limited set and that has a smoke unit as well. All the other Bachmann 4-8-4's inclduing the new DCC ready UP 4-8-4 (which is still inaccurate) don't have smoke.

Further the Bachmann smoke units generally require the locomotive to be operated at full speed to produce any smoke, and the effect is minimal for the most part. In fact I would advise against using smoke units because it coats the track with an oily film that attracts dirt and requires more frequent cleaning of your track and wheels as a result.

In the end it really isn't a big loss that it doesn't have a smoke unit, with the exception of a few high priced models, smoke in HO is not very reliable and not worth it to most people. If you really want smoke, some other companies make $600 locomotives with a realistic looking smoke effect, but aside from those it is mostly the type that requires you run your train at full speed for a novelty effect.

Len

If you really want puffing smoke in HO, without spending $600.00, there are really only two options:

1. An old American Flyer HO locomotive with an all metal piston style smoke unit. Exactly the same as their 'S' gauge locos, but reduced to HO size.

2. An old Tyco tender drive "Chattanooga Choo-Choo". It also uses a piston type smoke unit, but the piston assembly is plastic. Smoke is loaded by removing the bell, it pulls straight out, and adding fluid through that hole, not the stack.

The piston style smoke units have three advantages over the tube type units used in other low end HO locos:

1. They operate at a slightly higher temperature than the tube style units. Which means the smoke fluid is vaporized better, resulting in less mess on the track.

2. As the piston pushes air through the smoke unit, it creates a puffing effect for the smoke. Tube units tend to have more of a steady drifting smoke effect

3. By forcing air through the smoke unit, the piston units helps keep them cool enough not to burn out. Or melt the plastic shell of the Tyco loco.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

guslcp

The product description says "graphite smoke box"  The smoke box is the front end of the engine.  It does not say "with working smoke" or some such description.
No great loss. As has been pointed out, the smoke you might get is but a whisp...Not a cloud...

Gus.

electrical whiz kid

Gus;
Seconded.  All things considered, it will be a long while until we see what could actually pass for "prototype smoke".  I opine that most or all of us steam enthusiasts will be dead and gone before that happens.  Until then, I think we all have better things to chase after.
SGT C.

jbrock27

I think you mean to say you are "fourthing" Rich ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on February 04, 2015, 12:33:16 PM
Gus;
Seconded.  All things considered, it will be a long while until we see what could actually pass for "prototype smoke".  I opine that most or all of us steam enthusiasts will be dead and gone before that happens.  Until then, I think we all have better things to chase after.
SGT C.

though it would be impressive to have my alco diesels erupt in clouds of black smoke when I throttle up......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

Jeff MTH and a few others actually make locomotives with that feature but they cost $500 or more since they also have all the bells and whistles no pun intended.

ebtnut

To be snarky, you can also generate smoke by hooking the AC leads to the track.  Of course the smoke won't last very long and the loco will become a display piece on your shelf.

electrical whiz kid

EBnut: 
...And I was going to crack wise about a can of Ronson lighter fluid and a match...
SGT C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on February 04, 2015, 07:15:45 PM
EBnut: 
...And I was going to crack wise about a can of Ronson lighter fluid and a match...
SGT C.

Best one so far.   ;D

Cheers

Roger T.

Mdaskalos

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on February 04, 2015, 07:15:45 PM
EBnut: 
SGT C.

Peer pressure. Put it out behind the roundhouse with the bigger, older engines that smoke, and it'll want to fit in.