Can anyone recommend the Rock Island 4-8-4 (Bachmann #58158)

Started by Searsport, January 31, 2015, 07:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, I am wondering about the Bachmann #58158 N Scale 4-8-4 Northern for the Rock Island. Am I right in thinking this is not a Spectrum loco?

I have seen one for $93 new, which seems a bargain but I am thinking of giving it a miss as the detail looks poor in the photo I can see and the model looks very much an approximation of the RI class it purports to represent.

The reason I am considering it at all is that the 4-8-4 did become the premier RI fast freight loco and I don't know of any other model. It has some of the character of the RI late 4-8-4s, e.g. box-pok wheels.

Customer reviews suggest that the front truck is inadequately loaded and does not track well, tending to derail on transitions between straights and curves, and that the coupling rods can dis-assemble themselves after a few hours running.

Can anyone recommend this loco, e.g. on grounds of performance / reliability / durability? Or that the appearance is better in the flesh than in online photos (I will have to buy mail-order and cannot inspect one first).

Grateful for advice,
Thanks,
Bill.

Searsport

I should have added that an alternative for about the same price is an unlettered Spectrum #81651 Mountain which I know is an excellent model and could letter for the RI. Did Bachmann ever issue the 4-8-2 for the Rock Island?

Bill.

gatrhumpy

One of my friends has both. He likes the 4-8-2 Lt. Mountain much better as the detail is better and it's a better runner.

ACY

Bachmann made the 4-8-2 in the following roads:
N&W, Illinois Central, DRG&W, C&O, NYO&W, Southern Pacific, New Haven, NC&STL, UP, Southern, Frisco, Missouri Pacific,  and unlettered.
They had a Vanderbilt Long Oil Tender or USRA Long tender depending on road.

The 4-8-4 Bachmann made for Rock Island is a generalized model, I have a Santa Fe Northern from a few years ago and have no complaints but the Rock Island version I think is an older version which may not perform as well as the newer runs that came out in other road names.

spookshow

Bachmann did release their "latest and greatest" version of the 4-8-4 in Rock Island livery (I had one, so I know). And although a decent enough runner (and much improved over earlier versions of the 4-8-4), it is not a Spectrum locomotive so (among other things) it's not DCC Ready. Also, it's based on a Santa Fe prototype, so it doesn't much resemble anything run by the CRI&P.

More information on Bachmann 4-8-4's here - http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bach484.html

Bachmann's 4-8-2's are DCC-Ready (or DCC-equipped) and are better looking/running models overall (although IMHO the Heavy 4-8-2 is the best of the bunch). Again, not particularly accurate for the Rock Island, although that didn't stop me from sticking CRI&P decals on one :-)

More info on Bachmann 4-8-2's here - http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bachmann482.html

Another option for freight service would be a Bachmann 2-10-2. Once again, not quite right for the Rock, but definitely a sweet running loco (and one that I also stuck Rock Island decals on) -

More info on Bachmann 2-10-2's here - http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bach2102.html

So, several options if you just want to stick Rock Island decals on something that looks and runs good, but quite a bit of work involved if you want something that's prototypical.

Cheers,
-Mark

ACY

Quote from: spookshow on January 31, 2015, 08:53:56 PM
Bachmann did release their "latest and greatest" version of the 4-8-4 in Rock Island livery (I had one, so I know).
Maybe I was thinking of Burlington or another road that was an older version, thanks for the correction though.

Searsport

Thanks for all your comments. I have decided that the 4-8-4 will not do, as detail like the molded-on handrails will not compare well with my existing Spectrum RI 2-8-0, and the loco general appearance is too far from the RI 4-8-4, as is the 8-axle tender. The Spectrum 4-8-2s and 2-10-2 are also off-accuracy for the RI and lack the bulk of the RI prototypes (I am looking at the excellent "Rock Island Steam Power" by Krambeck / Edson / Farrell as my reference), but the level of detail is excellent and both get good ratings from Spookshow for performance so I think it is a matter of decaling one or both types. The unlettered light mountain looks a lot cheaper than the 2-10-2 !!! Actually in the course of searching web catalogs I have found the Kato RI F2A-F2A sets so I might need to buy one of those first!

Thanks,
Bill.

Searsport

To round this off with a conclusion, I have ordered a pair of Bachmann #81651 Spectrum N Scale DCC Ready USRA 4-8-2 Light Mountain Painted Unlettered which Trainworld have at $89.99, not least because this might be the last chance to get these without a decoder inside. I will provide a separate note on the light mountain in a new thread.

Thanks for your help,
Bill.