News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-2 question?

Started by RGW, February 01, 2015, 10:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGW

I really love my DM&IR 2-10-2 .Runs smooth,looks great ,but the traction is lower than what other Bachann 2-10-2s. I seen to remember on some forums that other had  added a thin piece of tape under the bearing blocks to lower the wheels with TTs.

I could not find any info by googling this.does anybody remember  the details?      

Side note:I file off the trailing truck detail and added delta side frames to match the DM&IR prototype.

spookshow

An occasional problem with Bachmann steam engines is that the driver bearing blocks wind up with excessive freeplay due to the frame cut-outs (wherein the driver bearing blocks seat) being cut inaccurately at the factory. If you eyeball the drivers as the engine rolls along and can see the TT-equipped driverset moving around excessively (up and down and/or side to side), then it's the cutouts that are the problem ('cuz if the traction tires aren't in firm/constant contact with the rails, pulling power is going to be greatly reduced).

A relatively simple way to fix the problem is to remove the plastic bottomplate and lift out the TT driverset. Then apply a thin strip of electrical tape to the edges of the cutout. This will serve to shim the bearing blocks and keep the drivers from moving around too much.

Cheers,
-Mark

RGW

Thanks you.  I sorta thought you would be the one to have this information. I will check for driver wobble.
Are the TT drivers  connected to the side rods. It would be convenient if there are not. Guess i will find out.

spookshow

Quote from: RGW on February 02, 2015, 01:39:42 PM
Thanks you.  I sorta thought you would be the one to have this information. I will check for driver wobble.
Are the TT drivers  connected to the side rods. It would be convenient if there are not. Guess i will find out.

You're in luck - they are not. So, all the much easier  ;D

Cheers,
-Mark

RGW

Mark, I finally got around to adding electrical tape to the bearing area (only to the rear TT driver) and it seems to pull  better and it had a rhythmic clanking noise that I do not hear any more.
I assume this was the driver oscillating in the frame.

Thanks for the Info      Bob

James in FL

The tape shim trick works great to tighten up sloppy tolerances.
FWIW the scotch tape I use is .002 and the electrical tape I have is .007.

What's the thickness of what you're using on that 2-10-2?

RGW

I do not know the thickness just some cheap electrical tape. I can check the roll,maybe it is listed.