News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann csx gp38-2

Started by csxfan04, February 08, 2015, 05:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csxfan04

I was wondering if it is possible to turn this engine from dc to dcc with sound.

WoundedBear

Anything is possible....and the honest answer would be yes......but there are so very many questions that need to be asked and answered first.

Sid

ACY

If you are asking this question than it is highly unlikely you would be able to successfully install DCC and sound in this locomotive at this time since it most likely won't be an easy installation especially for someone who is a beginner or inexperienced since it may not be DCC ready but the bigger problem is making room for sound often times. You may need to do some milling to make room.

Hunt

csxfan04,
While the following video shows DCC decoder equipped to DCC decoder with sound it will give you an idea of what is involved.

Click Here to view video.

If your locomotive is DCC ready you replace the light board in a similar manner to what the person in the video is doing replacing the decoder.

If your locomotive is not DCC ready more upfront work to do.

csxfan04

so basically it is better to get a dcc ready locomotive to have this done.

Len

Converting to DCC is fairly simple, since this loco came in both DC and DCC versions. Just different PC boards.

See: http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=7nka6t4a1hvn1cqae4jng4q0m3&keyword=HO+GP38-2+PCB

The DC version comes with PCB01, the DCC version with PCB13. So it's a simple board swap for DCC.

Adding sound is a bit more of a problem, because there's no place to put a speaker without some serious milling work on the chassis. The kind you'd either need a real milling machine for, or be willing to pay a machine shop to do.

As can be seen in the ref diagram at http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H617X_IS001.pdf the chassis almost completely fills the shell. The fuel tank is where the motor sits, so that's not an option for a speaker either.

If it was my loco, I'd just do the DCC conversion and not worry about sound.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

guslcp

I agree with Len's advice.
Personally, I wouldn't stand for the cacophony of sound coming from 2 or three engines huffing 'n puffing...
My solution was to buy a "steam sounds" CD just for background "ambiance".

I'm perfectly satisfied with just the "clickety/clack" of the wheels on the track...

Gus.

Richg

Challenge yourself.
Below is what SoundTraxx recommends.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step3.php?t=ho&s=Bachmann

I have a AB set of f3's and AB set of F7's. Running in ABBA is loud. four speakers.
have to crank the volume way down.

Rich

Len

Rich,

The GP-7 & GP-9 installation pictures show units predesigned for adding sound. There's already a space for the speaker, and the fuel tank is marked with the exact locations to drill out for sound from the speaker to get out.

As can be seen in the exploded parts diagram, that is definately NOT the case with the GP38-2. It will take some serious milling work to create an opening in the chassis for the speaker. Which is more than a "challage" for most folks.

Len

ACY

Rich I have to agree with Len on this, adding sound is too much for anyone that is not very experienced and skilled. Adding DCC is reasonable, but there is not sufficient space to add sound without milling.

jbrock27

Some folks like to do things "just to show what can be done" because they must have nothing better to do with their time.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Richg

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 14, 2015, 03:14:58 PM
Some folks like to do things "just to show what can be done" because they must have nothing better to do with their time.

Many things we have today are because, "someone took the time".

rich

jbrock27

No doubt, but that's an entirely different concept.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

I own one of these, http://www.micromark.com/microlux-high-precision-heavy-duty-r8-miniature-milling-machine,9616.html from when my repair shop was open. While my shop primarily dealt with O-gauge, I also did a lot of HO standard and sound decoder installs, as well as repairs. Many in Bachmann locos with a chassis similar to the GP38-2.

And I can tell you from personal experience, even with a milling machine, adding sound to one of these locos is not something to be undertaken lightly. There is a very real possibility of damaging the chassis, and making it unusable, if too much material is removed from the wrong place.

Len

jbrock27

Agree (obviously).  Better ways to spend $$ & time.
Keep Calm and Carry On