Spectrum 2-8-0, 4-8-2, and Peco set-track small turnouts surprise.

Started by Searsport, February 10, 2015, 01:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, I have a test track which comprises two parallel straight tracks with four Peco set-track turnouts arranged as a loop to test new engines. My Spectrum 2-8-0s always derail on running round the loop. I had assumed that this was because of the four driving axles, but today I accidentally send a Spectrum light mountain round the loop and it managed it perfectly. So I sent it back and forth several times, all without problems. I then carefully observed a 2-8-0 on the loop and found that the derailment is because the front pony cannot swing out far enough before the wheels hit the inside of the cylinders. This problem does not happen with the mountain because the cylinders are between the front and rear wheels of the leading truck when it swings. I am thinking that I can enable my 2-8-0s to go where they have never gone before if I file-off some of the inside of the cylinders. Before putting knife to plastic I am wondering if anyone else has tried this and has any advice to offer?

Thanks,
Bill.

gatrhumpy

That would be one way to solve the problem. I would also suggest using an N scale NMRA gauge to make sure track and wheels are at correct space apart.

brokemoto

By PECO "set track" turnouts, I am assuming that you mean those that come in the "matchbook".   I am surprised that any eight driver locoomotive would clear them.   The drivers on my 4-8-2s or 2-8-0s climb on nine and three quarter curve, which is what the curve on the diverging part of those "matchbook" turnouts is supposed to be.  I have never tried to operate either locomotive that you mention through one of those turnouts.  I do have one industrial area that has a few of those, but I operate only switchers or an occasional road switcher there.  What is funny is that the Atlas/Kato SD-7/SD-9 will clear those turnouts.