News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Breaking in a new Bachmann DCC w/Sound

Started by kdgrant6, March 01, 2015, 08:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

New at this, I received the Bachmann DCC Echo Valley set.  I connected the EZ Track, put the little locomotive on the track, and ran it in the default 3 position on the EZ Command.

That was its break in.

I bought another loco, DCC with no sound.  I broke it in by putting it on the track by itself and running it in its 3 position.  Then I put both locos on the track and ran them together (the Echo ran faster). Then I took the Echo off and programmed the other loco for the 2 position.  That has worked fine.

On Monday, I have a Bachmann GP7 DCC w/Sound coming .  I plan to program it in the 4 position by putting it on a separate piece of powered track.

Is that right?

Then what? How long do I run it on this separate track?  When I put it on the main layout, do I do anything special?  When do I oil it? What oil?  Will 3-In One work?

All mostly dumb questions, I'd hazard a guess, but I would very much appreciate guidance on this.

jbrock27

Ken, always remember, there are no dumb questions ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

According to my boot camp DI way back when there is one dumb question:

QuoteThe only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

And buried away in some writings on Bushido is one I like:

QuoteTo be ignorant and ask
is the embarassment of a moment,
To be ignorant and not ask
is the embarassment of a lifetime.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Len, if the question is not asked, is it really a question?  Was this the ARMY that told you this?... :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

I figure if your asking yourself a question in your mind, but don't ask, you still have a question. And no, it was Air Force.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

I'm surprised, they, usually make more sense... ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: kdgrant6 on March 01, 2015, 08:28:06 AM
New at this, I received the Bachmann DCC Echo Valley set.  I connected the EZ Track, put the little locomotive on the track, and ran it in the default 3 position on the EZ Command.

That was its break in.

I bought another loco, DCC with no sound.  I broke it in by putting it on the track by itself and running it in its 3 position.  Then I put both locos on the track and ran them together (the Echo ran faster). Then I took the Echo off and programmed the other loco for the 2 position.  That has worked fine.

On Monday, I have a Bachmann GP7 DCC w/Sound coming .  I plan to program it in the 4 position by putting it on a separate piece of powered track.

Is that right?

Then what? How long do I run it on this separate track?  When I put it on the main layout, do I do anything special?  When do I oil it? What oil?  Will 3-In One work?

All mostly dumb questions, I'd hazard a guess, but I would very much appreciate guidance on this.

KD,
You don't have to use another piece of track to program your loco, just make sure no other loco is on the tracks when you do the programming or you will change all the addresses. The decoder will remember what is programmed not the command station.
As for the loco's running the same speed.... forget about it unless you get lucky and then you will still have one that will be a little faster than the other. The DCC w/sound may even appear to run slower as it will want more juice than the other's without sound. This is only an assumption as you will not know till you get it on the rails.
Speed matching can be done by adjusting cv's if you have a controller that is able to rewrite them (or use the JMRI software as Roger will say). That being said the basic EZ Command can not do this but the Dynamis can. I don't know which one comes in the Echo Valley set.
Oiling your loco should not be necessary as they come overly lubed from the factory.
If the need ever arises though you can follow Bachmann's maintenance procedure's in this video towards the end...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtW8Gx_WxL4&feature=youtu.be&t=5m52s

Glad I could help since the other two are wrapped up with the dumb question remark, it's the little thing's that get these guy's off track.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jerry

jbrock27

Glad I could help since the other two are wrapped up with the dumb question remark, it's the little thing's that get these guy's off track.

Ha Ha Ha  Yes, you are ever soooo helpful.

Speaking of short attention spans, still trying to remember what you had for breakfast? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
And yes, I agree with you re: over oiling; in fact, I had even said as much earlier today.

Now, Jerry, you certainly know WAY more than I do about DCC, but is it not common, good recommended practice to have a separate track for programming purposes?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

For programming an address it's not needed, unless you can not remove all the loco's which then they should be parked on a dead siding as not to draw unused power from the power station. I have never used a  separate track for this but if I was playing with cv's then I would use a programming track. I don't think he needs to be that technical yet unless he is programming cv's.

Cinnamon Rolls and coffee

jbrock27

Thank you for your answer and the info.

I am so proud of you!

Don't tell me you would not have asked Len the same question about a question being a question if it was never a question :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 01, 2015, 04:56:10 PM

I am so proud of you!  Don't be I don't deserve it.

Don't tell me you would not have asked Len the same question about a question being a question if it was never a question :D   I am sure Len is a lot smarter with DCC than I am, I can tell by his replies he's a genius.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

jbrock27

I know, which is why bench work 3ft high is just puurrrrfect for you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO