News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My new "N" EMD DD40AX WONT RUN

Started by Jimthomason, April 04, 2015, 10:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimthomason

I have two new DD40AX With sound.
One works just as it should. But the other ran fine for 15 or 20 minuets and quite, I put it on DC i ran there for a while and then i switched it back to DCC. It worked for about 5 minuets and now will not work  on ether DC or DCC.
Is there something I am doing wrong or do I need to send it in to Bachmann for repair?
Jim

James in FL

Hi Jimthomason,

With the loco properly on the tracks, and voltage applied, (either analog or DCC, does not matter) if you press down on the lokie's shell, does it offer movement?
Yes? No?

Do you have access to a multimeter?
How comfortable do you feel about removing the shell and doing some simple voltage and continuity tests?

If you're comfortable doing this, and have a multimeter, it will go a long way to troubleshooting the problem.

For what's its worth, I do not own this lokie, but troubleshooting and proper diagnosis is basically the same for every lokie from every manufacturer.

What this means, in not so many words, is this;
(1)   Is the motor receiving the proper voltage?
(2)   If so, you will need a closer look at the motor itself. Could be a number of reasons.
(3)   If not, you must find the break (in continuity) between the track and the motor. This could be anywhere from the wheels, to the pick-ups, to the frame, to the board, (who knows how many places along that board) and whatever else (wires, contact strips, etc.) is in between, that make the circuit complete.
What I'm saying here is every point in between will need checked for proper diagnosis.

If you're not comfortable troubleshooting to that degree, then send it back to Bachmann, and save yourself a headache.

Look here if you want to return;
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

Also check out what spook says here:
http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bachdd40ax.html

Good luck