News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Battery power

Started by bill whisenhunt, April 30, 2015, 02:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill whisenhunt

I have two 4-6-0 steam locomotives and would like to convert to battery power, I have been looking at th CVP Products airwire. What do I need to Know(wgat siykd I get0?

Kevin Strong

The Airwire system is a good system. You'll want their G3 board (their current production motor/lighting control board). You'll also need a battery pack. Most folks are using 14.8v Li-Ion packs these days. You'll also want a power switch (DPDT toggle), and I always put a 5-amp fuse in line as well just as added insurance.

Most folks will install things in the tender of the loco, as it's easily accessible. If you permanently install the battery pack in the loco, you'll need to add a charging jack. If you want to make it removable (such as by removing the coal load) then you don't need one. I prefer removable battery packs, so I can simply swap out a battery and keep running. There are a few locos whose installations do not allow for such luxuries, and for those I use higher-capacity (same voltage) battery packs.

That's a brief overview. Let me know what specific questions you might have, and I can have a go at answering them.

Later,

K