News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound for Steam Locomotive

Started by Martha, July 01, 2015, 11:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martha

I'm back! I'm starting a new topic as I need less help than I did when I first came to this forum in 2014. I was planning on moving to NY this fall however it is postponed til Spring 2016 So I get to set up Jamestown one more time in Reno. There isn't a whole lot more I could add to to it but as all of you know there is always something more that can be added or critiqued. This year I am adding Flashing railway crossing lights, that is if I can find them reasonable. I am really wanting to add sound to it.

A little back ground on my layout. It's a Christmas village with a train running around it. I am not a model railroader, nothing is to scale in Jamestown. It started with a couple little houses, a few people and a couple of trees. It is now grown to a major city! I am using a Bachmann Steam Prairie loco and a few decorated cars and caboose. I love that it steams and now I would really like it to have sound effects of some kind. It is powered by the original power supply box, not DCC. I don't want to spend a fortune on sound so hoping someone out there has some simple inexpensive ideas. What I'd like it to do is sound like it is idling then bells clang, whistle blows, steam power starting up sound as it goes around the small 4X8 platform. I could just record sound and play it back on a cd but I'd like to possibly simulate as the train is starting up, moving forward and running at regular speed sound like its doing that.

I don't know if there is a kit or sound board that I can place inside the cars or a program I could download to simulate the sounds. I have seen someone install a small one button recorder that you record the sound you want and has push button start/stop. Any help/suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks, Martha

electrical whiz kid

"Greenway" has sound modules available.  Why not download their site and go to the sound modules section.  There are about a half-dozen steam whistles, more diesel horn blasts, as well as a very large selection of other sounds you may be able to use.  Good Luck.

Rich C.

Martha

great info, thank you, i will check it out.

Martha

Two new questions have arisen since yesterday! ;D

1. does anyone have a simple solution for removing the graphite out of the center of a pencil, without damaging the pencil? I attempted to make light post/telephone poles last year but time ran out and I just lost the interest in going further with them. Now I am thinking if I could remove the graphite, the center would make a great tube for the wiring. I am all about re-purposing things or taking something and make it something else. That's the crafter in me. pencils are cheap. they are wood, take paint easy, and best of all for me, I won't be shorting stuff out by using metal tubing.

2. My new soldering station was just delivered ;D ;D I purchased the Weller 40 watt station after several recommendations. My questions is does anyone know of a good clear knowledgeable video I can view to set this soldering iron up correctly from the get go. And what type of solder do you suggest? I will be soldering wire/leds/resistors.

Thanks and Happy 4th of July!

jbrock27

M, check YouTube for soldering vids.  There are tons.  Get rosin core solder (no acid core), thin stuff, like 1.2mm is good for what you are doing.  Over time, I have used solder of different make ups, 60/40 (which has some lead), 96% tin, 4% silver and 99.3% tin, .7% copper; they have all worked well.  It is the soldering pencil/tip that does the heavy lifting.   I also suggest using rosin flux as well.

Keep havin fun! :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Why don't you look into one of the whole -room sound systems?  (If they are still made) You don't have to have DCC or do anything to your equipment.

Martha

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I think I might have solved my sound issue. Its not really a issue its just one of those want to have things. I found a re-recordable sound module. You can download up to so many seconds of sound effects and its small enough to hide and a push button start. For under $10.00 it was worth trying out. I will let you know how that worked out.

Today I won a bid on ebay for Lemax railway stop signals. They flash alternately. Didn't have them and found a good enough deal to buy it. I know a lot of people buy Amazon but I personally haven't found any good deals on Amazon. Ebay is my go to place. I wait it out, shop and shop, make many watch list and when the time is right I buy. The scariest 60 seconds of my life is the last 60 seconds of an action I am winning on ebay. My hand is ready to pounce on that mouse to up the bid if necessary! Guess everyone now knows I have no life other than be scared of the last 60 seconds on ebay.  ;D

I will be heading to Ace after work tomorrow to see if they carry decent solder and flux. I do believe half my problems last year was the wrong solder or too thick solder and not sure if the flux was right or not. Also having a 7 dollar solder iron with cheap tips didn't make things any easier for me. I am determined woman so I will conquer soldering and I am sure I will have the burn marks to prove it! lol.

richardl

I use a Weller WLC100 soldering station with wedge tip and fine conical tip. Wedge for soldering rail feeders with 75 percent heat  and conical tip for PC boards and decoder wire with 50 percent heat.
I use rosin flux and 1/32 inch solder with rosin flux in it. Some hardware stores might label it electrical solder.
I keep a small can of Radio Shack solder iron tip cleaner handy. Helps keep tip cleaner slightly longer at times.
My electrical solder is Cardas Solder Products. Quad Eutectic rosin core roll solder.Excellent characteristics compared to any solder I have ever used.

Rich

Martha

Excellent info Thank you!!! I doubt Ace or any local hardware store (lowes/home depot) will actually have the good stuff and Radio Shack well unless I want to buy a phone at my local RS I'm better off not wasting my time going in there. Sad to say RS isn't what it started out to be, which was a great source for all things electrical. I can always shop on line, I am very good at that!  ;D ;D I am in need of some tiny shrink tubing also so guess I better get to shopping. Tips, solder, flux, shrink tubing, probably some more resistors. Yup I'm making a list! Thanks again Rich.

richardl

Some time ago I bought 1/16 inch shrink from Traitek an online DCC supplier. I bought the bunch with DCC NMRA colors.
The Cardas solder is very expensive and has to be bought online.

I have used silver bearing solder in the past from Radio Shack. Worked very well. I just Googled it. Still available it seems.
Regular rosin flux solder works well. If you have not soldered before, good soldering is an acquired art like sewing. Practice on scrap wire, track. Cleanliness is important.

Yes, I know, that Radio Shack hardly exist anymore.

Rich

richardl

Here is one You Tube video. There are others. Unless the camera was on a stand, might be wobbly video.
You can download the video and hit the stop button if you need to do a screen shot. I do that quite often.
There will be more videos on soldering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw28jf8G7DY

You can Google model railroad soldering which will bring up a lot of links.

Rich

DAVE2744

Martha,  here are two products you might look into for your sound requirements.  MRC Symophony 77, less than $100.  It plays through typical computer stand alone speakers.  Diesel and steam sounds.  Actually, quite impressive.  Really does create an "railroady?" atmosphere.  I have used this system on a N scale layout for some time now.  It's simple and effective.  Another brand new product is from Kato.  MSRP around $280.  Appears to have cartridges you can use to obtain the types of sounds needed.  Good luck and happy railroading!  Dave

Martha

Thanks Dave2744 on your suggestion for the sound. I will check out both.

Thanks, Richardl there are so many you tube videos out there I have found several that might work for me. I just picked up solder and tip tinner/cleaner at RS, I know, don't have much faith in them. Honestly I swear they have never re-stocked any of their electrical items like shrink wrap, wire, solder, from last year! I might now need tinner/cleaner but I am not taking any chances this year. I also bought some 60/40 .023" Light duty. Holy Cow. this stuff is so nice and thin. I can honestly see I might have success this year. last year I was using solder the size of a shoe lace!

this weekend it is practice practice practice. Looking forward to playing with my new toy.  ;D

electrical whiz kid

Martha;
There are several sites we, as modelers, go to for electrical/electronic needs. One is Demar, the other is Mouser.  Not only do they have a mass of parts, but they tend to be very helpful, lacking such niceties as condescension, rudeness, etc.  Give them a try.  Also, as I had mentioned earlier, Greenway has a lot of tools, parts, etc, geared for the model rail.
RIchC.

richardl

Quote from: Martha on July 07, 2015, 10:59:25 PM
Thanks Dave2744 on your suggestion for the sound. I will check out both.

Thanks, Richardl there are so many you tube videos out there I have found several that might work for me. I just picked up solder and tip tinner/cleaner at RS, I know, don't have much faith in them. Honestly I swear they have never re-stocked any of their electrical items like shrink wrap, wire, solder, from last year! I might now need tinner/cleaner but I am not taking any chances this year. I also bought some 60/40 .023" Light duty. Holy Cow. this stuff is so nice and thin. I can honestly see I might have success this year. last year I was using solder the size of a shoe lace!

this weekend it is practice practice practice. Looking forward to playing with my new toy.  ;D

I remember starting out with shoe lace solder around 1953 in tube circuits but a Weller solder gun was normal. Not anyone for electronic soldering.

You should do ok. You seem to be very methodical about this. Good luck. Just take your time.

Rich