News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RP-25 Metal Wheel Sets

Started by Trackman Ed, July 09, 2015, 07:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trackman Ed

O.K., I went  out to my favorite store and purchased 2 packs of metal wheels. I pack of (Code 110) 33" Smooth Back Freight Wheels #520, and 1 pack of (Code 110) 33" Ribbed Back Freight Wheels.  I was excited to swap out the plastic wheel and give my trains a run.  I replaced the wheels on 3 cars that are a part of my diesel/electric set.  I tested each car on the track just by pushing it with my hand, seems I have not done all of my homework, the cars do not roll very easily.  What must I do to correct the issue, friction?  I removed the metal wheels and put the old plastic wheel back on the cars and they roll very smoothly, what gives, Help!

The wheels purchased are Kadee Pack numbers 520 and 523 respectfully.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all who respond.

Trackman Ed

richardl

Sounds like you need a truck tuner. Micro Mark sells one.
I suspect the wheels you bought are very slightly longer axle.

I have bought and used a truck tuner when replacing wheel sets.
Did you get Kadee metal wheels?

Rich

Len

Check the end of the plastic wheelset axles, and compare to the ends of the metal wheelset axles.

Many plastic wheelset axles get smaller in diameter on the outside of the wheels, compared to metal wheelset axles that stay the same diameter on both sides of the wheel.

If the plastic wheel axles are smaller, a 'truck tuner' will ream the journal out so the metal wheel axle spins freely.

If that doesn't fix the problem, compare the axle lengths. If the metal wheel axle is longer, you may have to order wheelsets with the correct axle length from someplace like Reboxx.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Ed, what brand trucks are you using?  Some brand trucks roll better with certain other brand's wheel sets.  Also agree that if you will be engaging in this activity w/any frequency, that you get the Micro Mark truck tuner.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

I figured something out here; if you take two truck tuners, insert both of them, and roll this set-up back and forth a few times, and then give the resultant smooth socket a shot or two of graphite powder, insert the new wheel-sets, then give them a roll or two to check things out.  I like to use graphite powder over any liquid medium because the chances of dirt accumulation are reduced.

Rich C.

jbrock27

That sounds like a great idea, but I still would want to hold both sides of the truck while I turn (clockwise) the truck tuner.  Seems that would be hard to do with 2 going at once.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

turn the truck over so it is upside-down, and with a firm-but gentle movement and using the rubber  surface, run the truck back and forth on, say, a piece of smooth plywood or something similar.  I use a fairly rapid movement and get pretty good results.  All you are looking for is a smooth conforming surface in the hole, so don't overdo it.  This is a case of too much being just that-too much!.  Oh-and only a few strokes should more than take care of it.

Rich C.