News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trying out an auction site, HELP!

Started by engineerkyle, November 07, 2007, 10:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

engineerkyle

Well Gentlemen,

After much success at the GVRR show I went and did it, my first auction site listing! As a man of vision, I see 11 hits, no bids and my Amex carded $2.40 by the end of the week. Am I just a pessimist?

My item is buried in: Toys & Hobbies > Model RR, Trains > HO Scale > Buildings, Track, Access. > Buildings, Structures > Other ...but that seemed like the best category for it.

What should I do do make the piece more visible to the Internet shoppers?

The auction site never prompted me for a bank routing # when I registered, if I do sell, how will I get payed?

-and-

I would never do this; But what is the impact of bidding on your own item. I'd be curious to see the whole auction process, just this once.

Thanks to all you guys who are old hats at this. I appreciate the responses.

Kyle

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220169384764&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

WoundedBear

Rangerover

First of all, that is one beautiful piece and I can't begin to think about the amount of time you must have spent building it. You may get lucky and someone will bid on it. As far as you bidding on your own item, no! And if you get caught with doing "shill bidding" that will most definitely end your eBay membership. Please read or reread sellers responsibility and liability on their website. Visit the site map. Also I might add, be patient. Most serious bidders will either bid very early, but most bidders will bid or snipe in the last minutes and seconds of your listing. I love snipers!
Second, I am a seller on eBay with over 1100 feedback and have acquired Power Seller status with all positive, no neutral, no negative or mutual feedback, one of the lucky ones or it is because I am honest with my description and I do ship within 24 hrs of payment and I do answer all questions asked. I also sell on 2 other web sites and am just a buyer and small seller for now. I started out as a buyer on eBay about 6 years ago and had around 350 feedback before I started selling. eBayers are skeptical about buying from anyone for any item with a zero feedback. Acquire some feedback by bidding on inexpensive items, a good start with about 100 feedback positive, no negatives if you want to pursue selling. And do read all feedback on your buyers and your sellers before bidding or selling, it you see negatives, read the responses, some buyers and sellers get themselves in quibbles over $1.00 items and leave neg feedback. And some are retalitory negs and neutrals. I must say I have not had a problem with over 200 sales on eBay with model trains category, the buyers are some of the best. Do go to the seller forums and buyer forums and lurk for awhile, as well as Pay Pal forums. This way you get a good idea of what works and what don't. Good Luck and Be Prepared for the "good and bad" of Internet selling. Most people are honest that sell and buy, do not do international shipping at least until you get your feet wet. Good Luck again, Jim