News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

storing trains for moving

Started by union pacific 4014, July 17, 2015, 02:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 4014

ok what best way so they make a 300 mile move with out damage? i have all them in the factory boxes. how should i pack them? i plan on putting Absorb Moisture packes in with them. they will be stored in a stored locker or my uncles pole barn. the season where moving is my mom passed way  :( back in may at age 48 she would of been 49 on fathers day. and my dad want move back closer to his family and friends. and we want a new fresh start. the new house will basement for my trains :) im only 23

Len

If they're in the original boxes, they should be fine packed in a sturdy corrugated cardboard box. That's the way distributors ship them to dealers on a regular basis. Just fill in any spaces with bubble wrap, foam peanuts, wrapping paper, etc., to keep things from shifting around.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

UP, remember those Rubbermaid containers that were talked about when you asked about storage out in the shed?  If you ever got any of those then, use them as well as the boxes Len refers to.

I am sorry for the loss of your mom and that being the reason you are getting to move.  My condolences to you, your dad and your family.
Keep Calm and Carry On

union pacific 4014

i was thinking Rubbermaid container yes my mom is reason where moving to many memories of her here 

DAVE2744

UP4014, Matt - I operated a marina for several years and we had "pole buildings" for storing boats.  If any item is not "hermetically" sealed,  the moisture in the spring was guaranteed to start mold/mildew, especially if it had a concrete floor.  A more climate controlled area would be best.

PS. I'm sending an email to you on the personal matter.  I'll subject as "pole building"

union pacific 4014

and will only be in storage a few week to a month

Len

For a month or less a well taped, sturdy cardboard box should be fine. Just don't forget the desiccant packs. You can get good boxes at any U-Haul facility, Home Depot, and most selft storage places. Although the storage places tend to be higher priced.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.