News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco Drive Wheel Cleaner

Started by Les, November 07, 2007, 03:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

Just received the Kadee 236 Loco drive wheel cleaner; works great with no work - just hook up to power and the cleaner does the rest.  Bought mine from Walther's - on sale now for $9.98.  I highly recommend.  Can't go wrong at this price.   :) :)         Les

bevernie

;DIs it better than "GOO GONE"? Wes (OLD FORT TRAINS, OLD FORT, nc) recommended that to me years ago, and it has worked GREAT... except that the bottle will soon be empty and need to be replaced. Does this that you are recommending have any parts or use anything that would need replacing?
                                                                                                  THANX!!
                                                     ???                                                Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

jayl1

The track cleaner has 2 alligator clips that conect to the rails.  The wheels then spin on a metal "brush".  I would also suggest a foam or padded holder to place the upside - down engine on while cleaning the wheels.  Eventually the wire will wear down - but then retail is only $13 or so.

bevernie

The "GOO GONE" simply sprays on the track, and works while you play.
                                               :o                                                      Ernie 8)
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Stephen D. Richards

Trix also makes an excellent one.  Just set it on 'live' rails, and place the loco wheels on the bronze brushes.  A little more expensive but doesn't require parts!   Stephen

WoundedBear

Quote from: bevernie on November 09, 2007, 10:38:03 AM
The "GOO GONE" simply sprays on the track, and works while you play.
                                               :o                                                      Ernie 8)

What about the surrounding scenery? I would think the pain of masking or shielding everything from overspray would be tedious. How good can repeated soaking with Goo Gone be for your ballasting efforts?

I rub my rails with a Peco track cleaner, vacuum the hell outta everything, then apply 2 or 3 drops of Labelle's  on each rail, spaced evenly around the layout.

I clean my wheels with a cotton cloth dampened with some Windex.

I do this maybe every 6 weeks.

Sid