News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question about body shells?

Started by Highland Rob, August 22, 2015, 03:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highland Rob

Greatings everyone,
This is my first post here on this board. I don't really do the message board thing but thought I would try since I can't find the answers I am looking for.
I recently got back into the hobby after being out of it for about 15 years. I am into HO and N. I sold off all of my stuff when I got out of the bobby years ago. I am a musician and needed $$$ for equipment, but now I have decided to get back into the hobby. I've been buying new and used things here and there.
I recently got an old Bachmann front wheel drive, single axle drive GP-30 in Chessie colors. The engine runs great and I am not planning on using DCC at this point for the switching layout I am building.
The problem with the GP-30 is that the handrails are broken/missing and it has a broken step on the front.
I would like to replace the body shell with a new GP-30 from Bachmann.
I emailed Bachmann's part department and they said the new GP-30 shell would not fit the old frame I have. Maybe it won't indeed, but I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so how much modifications are needed to get it o work. From diagrams and pictures I've looked at, I can't see a difference. As it stands right now my old Chessie is not in a physical condition good enough to put it on display. I might just bite the bullet and buy a new shell any way, but thought I would consult the board first.
Likewise I have a few N scale F9 frames with shells that are broken or in bad shape that I wish to replace, but I can't find replacements. I tried to buy some NOS F9 shells from th 70's but they did not fit. What do I do since Bachmann has none in stock?
Thanks in advance!
Rob

rogertra

Quote from: Highland Rob on August 22, 2015, 03:14:08 PM
Greatings everyone,
This is my first post here on this board. I don't really do the message board thing but thought I would try since I can't find the answers I am looking for.
I recently got back into the hobby after being out of it for about 15 years. I am into HO and N. I sold off all of my stuff when I got out of the bobby years ago. I am a musician and needed $$$ for equipment, but now I have decided to get back into the hobby. I've been buying new and used things here and there.
I recently got an old Bachmann front wheel drive, single axle drive GP-30 in Chessie colors. The engine runs great and I am not planning on using DCC at this point for the switching layout I am building.
The problem with the GP-30 is that the handrails are broken/missing and it has a broken step on the front.
I would like to replace the body shell with a new GP-30 from Bachmann.
I emailed Bachmann's part department and they said the new GP-30 shell would not fit the old frame I have. Maybe it won't indeed, but I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so how much modifications are needed to get it o work. From diagrams and pictures I've looked at, I can't see a difference. As it stands right now my old Chessie is not in a physical condition good enough to put it on display. I might just bite the bullet and buy a new shell any way, but thought I would consult the board first.
Likewise I have a few N scale F9 frames with shells that are broken or in bad shape that I wish to replace, but I can't find replacements. I tried to buy some NOS F9 shells from th 70's but they did not fit. What do I do since Bachmann has none in stock?
Thanks in advance!
Rob

Rob.

You probably don't want to hear this but you'd be better off buying new models.

Newer models run way, way better than the ones you have on hand.  The ones you have were, to put it kindly, lower in quality for 'toy' models for train sets.

You'll be surprised at how much better the new models are compared to the older version.

Regards.

Roger T.

ACY

The new GP 30 shells will not fit unfortunately and the same goes for the N scale F9's.
You will be much better off in the end just buying a new HO GP 30 and N F9s. They will run much better as an added bonus.

jward

while I wholeheartedly agree with roger's assessment of your locomotive, it doesn't answer the question.

the drive was completely upgraded in the gp30 in the late 1980s, when it was one of the first spectrum models produced. the previous train set incarnation, which you have, was rather flimsy in construction. the upgrades models were retooled with finer details and mounting provisions for the upgraded drive. it may be possible to modify a newer shell to fit the older chassis, but as a newcomer you may not want to hack up the inside of a new shell to make it fit.

there is another, possibly cheaper alternative. at train shows, you can often find those old train set locomotives for very cheap. you can probably get the whole locomotive for the price of a new shell. and if you're looking for a parts donor this can be a good way to fix up an older locomotive.

if you are looking for a locomotive to run a lot. you will be better off buying one of the newer models with the improved drive
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

I'm in the camp of suggesting you save your time and resources from trying to modify and fix what you have and devote them instead to looking for a good condition Spectrum GP30 on Ebay or newer version that is currently sold.  As noted already, a replacement locomotive will run much better than what you have now.  Ebay has Spectrums listed all the time.  Good luck!
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

If you don't want to play on the 'Bay, these guys have some fairly decent deals on both DCC and DC versions of the GP30:

http://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/bachmann/bachmann-ho-scale/bachmann-diesel-locomotives-2/bachmann-gp30/

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Highland Rob

Thanks to everyone for your answeres. I have looked into the new GP30s. I understand exactly what you all are saying. The tiing is, I raally like the old vintagey stuff. I love the old TYCO, COX, Bachmann and Life Like stuff that isn't even around anymore. They don't compare to new things, but I just like them. I am from the school that newer may be better, but it's not always comfortable. Why not go with what you like and for me it's what reminds me of the late 70's and 80's when I was a kid. I am like this about most things, cars, guitars, etc. Like I said I am a musician. My instrument of choice is 30 years old with a considerable amount of the paint worn off and I love it more than some brand new insturments I have.
Even though i am getting back into the hobby, I have done some mods, kitbashing and custom building in the past. I might just try to see if I can modify a new shell to work. I'll really only be out $20 or so and it might be a fun project. LIke I said I was just wondering if anyone had actually tried doing such a thing and what steps might be involved in making it work.
Thanks again for the input!

Bucksco

Nothing wrong with nostalgia! Just remember that the older a product is the less likely you are to find parts for it. Of the four companies you mentioned only one is still in business and the advent of newer (and better) motors and electronics necessitates improvements and changes in the existing products antiquating older ones .

jbrock27

Maybe this is why there are so many starving artists/musicians, LOL! :D

You're welcome HLR and best of luck to you!  You will have keep us informed of your progress and let us know how you make out.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on August 23, 2015, 11:07:14 AM
If you don't want to play on the 'Bay, these guys have some fairly decent deals on both DCC and DC versions of the GP30:

http://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/bachmann/bachmann-ho-scale/bachmann-diesel-locomotives-2/bachmann-gp30/

Len

They certainly are.  They just won't have any Spectrum GP30 models to sell, if one happened to want one of those.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

highland,

if you are comfortable with 1970s era trains, I would take a long look at the athearn stuff at the train shows. they run much better than most of the rest, parts are still available for them, and best of all, the cox engines are really athearns in disguise.

other advantages are that older athearns have a drive train that is intuitively easy to work on, they are robust and designed for years of heavy use, they can be easily converted to knuckle type couplers, and they are heavy enough not to need traction tires.

you can often find used ones at a train show for around $20-25. that's not much more than the poor quality stuff you mentioned.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

I concur, in addition, many Athearns have flywheels just like the Spectrum GP30s do.  But I would also look for these on Ebay, like I would if I was looking for a Spectrum GP30.  Some overlook that not everyone has train shows going on near them and with any frequency, while Ebay is always "on".  And while you can bring a 9 Volt battery with you to the train show to test a DC loco, I still say, as I have said before several times here, that you have a lot more consumer protections if something goes wrong when buying through Ebay, not so with cash paid at a train show, whether you know what you are doing or not.   The prices Mr. Ward cited are similar to prices found on Ebay.  Lastly, I come across more Bachmann Spectrum GP30s and Athearn GP35s than I do Athearn GP30s.  I could be mistaken, but I am not sure Athearn recently (since the 60s/70's) made a GP30.  Therefore, a word of caution about older, 60s Athearn GP30s-they have the grey "jet" motor which is not as good a running motor as the later gold can, duel brass flywheel motors.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

my understanding is that athearn redid their gp30 tooling into a gp35. if you've ever seen an athearn gp30, they have an odd, squashed down look to them. the Bachmann gp30 is much more accurate.

one other thing to look for is the very earliest releases of the Bachmann gp40 and f9 from the early 1970s. these came with 8 wheel drive and a motor with drive shafts similar to the current Bachmann units. I never owned one so I can't say how they run, but given the drive train I suspect they run a lot better than the pancake motor Bachmann or tyco stuff.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

You know, Jeff; I I may sound a little strange for saying so; but a GP-30 kind of always reminded me of that very large but not too bright character in the Bugs Bunny cartoons...

Rich C.