News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann HO Turntable Issues

Started by Stotty92, August 23, 2015, 06:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stotty92

I have just purchased and received a brand new, unopened and still in intact factory packaging Bachmann HO Motorized Turntable. Followed the DC Mode connection instructions.  Have the turntable out and installed on our layout.  When I attempt to rotate the turntable, the motor makes noise and is running, and you can see some white plastic finger or gear thing looking like it's attempting to rotate the bridge, and it makes a clicking noise like a gear is trying to do something.  However, the bridge will not rotate.  The very sparse and disappointing instruction sheet has absolutely no notes, comments or directions regarding operation of the table.  Please help!  It was a birthday present to my 7 year old son, who is literally in tears because his present won't work.  Please help me dry the tears Bach Man!  Please and thank you in advance.   :-\

Stotty92

As an additional note, the bridge is/was not indexed to any rails out of the box.  When we opened the box, the bridge was indexed with the rails straddling one of the rails on track #8.  I am afraid to try to manually push the bridge to an indexed position by hand for fear of ruining the table.  Thought maybe this additional detail may give a clue.

Bucksco

Sounds like the gears are not meshing correctly. Without one in front of me for reference I can only work from memory. I believe if you turn it over and remove the center screw you can lift off the center section of the turntable and reseat it if necessary. The other option is to contact the Bachmann service department tomorrow and they can walk you through it.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

Stotty92

I'll try that.  However, just from observing the table as its trying to operate, it will lurch and jerk like the gear is engaging, but actsxas though there is some resistance not allowing it to turn freely.  I will try your suggestion and see what it looks like.  Thank you!

richardl

Quote from: Stotty92 on August 23, 2015, 06:22:17 PM
As an additional note, the bridge is/was not indexed to any rails out of the box.  When we opened the box, the bridge was indexed with the rails straddling one of the rails on track #8.  I am afraid to try to manually push the bridge to an indexed position by hand for fear of ruining the table.  Thought maybe this additional detail may give a clue.

Never try to move the TT by hand. It is geared down a lot just like any locomotive. You could do some damage.

Rich

Hunt

Quote from: Yardmaster on August 23, 2015, 08:04:15 PM
Sounds like the gears are not meshing correctly. Without one in front of me for reference I can only work from memory. . . .

Click Here

Stotty92

Yardmaster:

I did as you suggested.  I pulled the center set screw out of the bottom of the turntable, lifted the table slightly on the edge to check gear alignment, and as you suspected, the little finger on the gear was not in alignment with the undertable groove that it needed to align with to turn it.  After a gentle nudge to get it aligned correctly, I re-inserted the screw and snugged it back up, then fired it up.  The turntable now works perfectly.  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!!!!  You have made my 7 year old a very happy boy, and me a proud daddy to see him enjoy his new addition to the layout.  Thank you again for taking the time on a Sunday to reply and help us get this baby running.   :)

Bucksco

Glad you are up and running, have fun!