Strange variant of the USRA 0-6-0 (regular Bachmann line)

Started by lvrr325, November 13, 2007, 10:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvrr325

So at a show last week I picked up what looks like the usual Bachmann USRA style 0-6-0, the older one with the split frame and pancake motor.  No tender, but some folks had a whole box of tenders and shells (looked like a leftover box from warranty repairs or something) so that was no problem.

Anyhow, this one has a 4-axle lead truck, making it a 4-6-0, and may have had another truck on the back - the seller told someone else it was missing a part.   Now I know this same basic engine was (still is?) sold as an 0-6-0 with a switcher tender and as a 2-6-2 using the tender from the Reading Consolidation - but was there a 4-6-0 or 4-6-2 version too?  I don't remember ever seeing one.   

I just nabbed it to repaint up for a local road and sell, I seem to have good luck with that, but it may just be that people like the looks of the quick and dirty paint jobs I give them.   

SteamGene

I've known Bachmann to make only a Prarie and a Mogul out of their USRA 0-6-0.  This is not to say that somebody else hasn't done some modification of their own.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lvrr325

Actually, I answered my own question, I found someone had posted a 1983 Bachmann catalog online (that vintage HO site).  There was a version sold as a 4-6-0 with the shorty Vanderbuilt tender, in CN&W and SP versions.