News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Winston for 2016/2017

Started by sean1994rail, November 04, 2015, 01:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean1994rail

http://strawpoll.me/5920035

With Bachmann releasing G Scale Winston next year, sign the poll if they should do a HO Model of him as well.

Jacob Wilson

Yes, I agree. Winston should have a HO/OO Gauge model released as well. I thought exactly this earlier year when he was announced to be released in G Gauge.

thomasj219

While he would be  very cool to see I have a feeling the reason he wasn't introduced was because he is too small.  He is the only character that has not had an HO scale counterpart after all, and while he was probably easy to do in large scale he'd probably be a pain to do in HO. I could be wrong though.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: thomasj219 on November 04, 2015, 06:29:40 PM
While he would be  very cool to see I have a feeling the reason he wasn't introduced was because he is too small.  He is the only character that has not had an HO scale counterpart after all, and while he was probably easy to do in large scale he'd probably be a pain to do in HO. I could be wrong though.

I am imagine he would be small, but surely that Bachmann should be able to still produce him in the 21st Century. There is more technology and manufacturing techniques around now, so I am sure there is away that could be found to produce Winston in HO/OO Gauge.

therailwayinspector

If they did, he would likely be very expensive.
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures

Metal

Well, I think Winston in HO/OO might be possible.  :)
Bachmann is releasing Wickham Trolleys in their Branchline Range of the UK market.

Winston is a Wickham Trolley. Notice that both chassis are almost similar.

AJW98Productions

That's an interesting point, Nykrivas. Anyone think they would reuse the Wickham Trolley chassis for Winston entirely, or reuse it with slight modification, or not at all? Also am I the only one who can't help but think of former British PM Churchill with a name like Winston?
~Alex

therailwayinspector

Bear in mind UK RRP for the Wickham Trolley is about £75-£80, so in US dollars, a Winston would probably be close to the price of Skarloey.
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: therailwayinspector on November 05, 2015, 09:36:42 AM
Bear in mind UK RRP for the Wickham Trolley is about £75-£80, so in US dollars, a Winston would probably be close to the price of Skarloey.

I would have heart failure if a Bachmann Winston in HO/OO Gauge would cost that much!

Chaz

I must be honest when I say this, but I don't see Winston happening in HO.  Therailwayinspector not only brought up a good point about pricing, but I also would like to point out that his size is what I think is what's stopping him more than anything else.  Winston is even smaller than a narrow gauge engine despite running on standard gauge track. 

In the HO range, it was easier for them at the time to create larger engines like Gordon and Henry, but in large scale it would be a lot harder for them to do because they would be so large and would easily cost over 500 dollars.  I think the exact opposite applies here with Winston coming out in large scale and not HO.  Although he wouldn't be as expensive as the large scale model, he would still cost roughly around the price suggested earlier.  Even Bachmann's Maintenance of Way vehicles mostly price at very expensive price points.  In large scale, there seems to be a lot more flexibility for smaller vehicles like Winston at a cheaper price, which is why after he got announced I pictured him as an "exclusive" to the large scale range. 

As much as I would like to see Winston happen in HO, I personally wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 05, 2015, 04:18:47 PM
I must be honest when I say this, but I don't see Winston happening in HO.  Therailwayinspector not only brought up a good point about pricing, but I also would like to point out that his size is what I think is what's stopping him more than anything else.  Winston is even smaller than a narrow gauge engine despite running on standard gauge track.  

In the HO range, it was easier for them at the time to create larger engines like Gordon and Henry, but in large scale it would be a lot harder for them to do because they would be so large and would easily cost over 500 dollars.  I think the exact opposite applies here with Winston coming out in large scale and not HO.  Although he wouldn't be as expensive as the large scale model, he would still cost roughly around the price suggested earlier.  Even Bachmann's Maintenance of Way vehicles mostly price at very expensive price points.  In large scale, there seems to be a lot more flexibility for smaller vehicles like Winston at a cheaper price, which is why after he got announced I pictured him as an "exclusive" to the large scale range.  

As much as I would like to see Winston happen in HO, I personally wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon.  

I can see what you are saying here, but in the Large Scale range, Bachmann have brought out James and Emily and for a scale of this size, they are considerable large as well. Locomotives like Henry, Gordon and Spencer in Large Scale would end up costing the customer over $500.00 to buy.

I can see it to would be difficult to do a Winston in HO/OO, but it would be really nice to see it be made and it would be a great addition to any layout (To the Thomas & Friends fans of course!).

Cheeky_ULP

Using the Wickham Trolley as a basis, I don't think making Winston would be hard. Though, I don't think anyones really demanding Winston any time soon. I'd rather see their resources go to an engine like Rheneas.

Chaz

Gordon and Henry are both bigger than James and Emily.  I wouldn't even consider James to be that large of an engine to be honest.  To add, his addition to the range was inevitable from the get-go when the range started with Thomas and Percy.  Emily is the main female engine on the show and her coaches were planned before she was even announced.  I think if they were to do Gordon and Henry they probably would have done them before Emily, or even Winston for that matter.  

Going to what Sparks posted, the demand isn't that strong and the sales aren't really there for Winston either.  I think sales-wise he would do better in large scale long term than in HO. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: Chaz on November 05, 2015, 05:47:49 PM
Gordon and Henry are both bigger than James and Emily.  I wouldn't even consider James to be that large of an engine to be honest.  To add, his addition to the range was inevitable from the get-go when the range started with Thomas and Percy.  Emily is the main female engine on the show and her coaches were planned before she was even announced.  I think if they were to do Gordon and Henry they probably would have done them before Emily, or even Winston for that matter.  

Going to what Sparks posted, the demand isn't that strong and the sales aren't really there for Winston either.  I think sales-wise he would do better in large scale long term than in HO.  

I agree that if Bachmann where to do Henry and Gordon in Large Scale, that they would have been released before Emily and Winston.

I see what you are saying, but I don't have space for a Large Scale layout, along side my OO/HO Gauge layout. I already have plans to build something smaller to build a Narrow Gauge layout. In this case then, I will not be able to get Winston then, if he does not get released in HO/OO Gauge.

Kemptown Branch

Sorry for digging up this thread, but Bachmann have made a gandy dancer before, and those are probably smaller than Winston, so I think the probably could make him.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.