News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

adding sound to a spectrum explorer

Started by tpgates, November 06, 2015, 11:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpgates

I ordered a spectrum explorer Santa Fe DCC 01308. I want to add sound to the layout or the train. Under the Christmas tree layout, nothing real fancy. What do I need in addition to th set?

ACY

Perhaps consider a set of speakers made by MRC that have a controller for various sounds (about $40 gice ir take ). That is the easiest method for a beginner.
An alternative method would be to buy a DCC system such as a Dynamis (MSRP ~$300) or other DCC system of your choice (most start at $175 or so), and then buy a sound decoder of your choice (about $100-150 for something like a Tsunami), then buy a speaker and baffle (~$40), then disassemble the tender to install the sound, which may require soldering skills and good eyes.

jbrock27

I have read a lot about people using cell phone speakers.  Anyone ever had any luck using them?
Keep Calm and Carry On

tpgates

speaker/s anywhere on the layout will suffice. What was the product that you referred to? IR control would be great. Thanks...

electrical whiz kid

Usually, the bigger and better quality the speaker, the better the fidelity.
My plan s are to install speakers in strategic locations for sounds.   Speakers at tunnel portals tied to rotary switches with various whistles is good.  The one I really want is the sound of a steam-powered tug, complete with Harpo Marx's old bulb horn...

Rich C.