News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track - radius of #5 and #6 turnouts

Started by townfan, November 15, 2007, 10:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

townfan

Hello
I have 22" radius on the outside loop of my layout. if I wanted to continue the curve at the same radius, which turnout # should I use ?

Just for reference, what radius are the #5 and #6 turnouts ?

Many thanks
Ian

Jake

Numbered turnouts don't have a consistent radius, they are straight from the frog (where two of the rails cross) on. They receive numbers that are determined by their diverging angles. In the case of a #6, it means it diverges 1 unit of measurement out after going 6 units forward, in typical degrees this is 9.46 degrees. Though numbered turnouts do have a substitution radius (If the turnout were removed, a curve of the same angle at this radius will fit in its spot between the diverging route and the route before it splits) and a point radius (sometimes called the diverging route radius) which is the radius of the curve BEFORE the frog (remember, turnouts are entirely straight after the frog!) on an NMRA compliant #6 the substitution radius is a whopping 69" and the point radius is 43". On a #5 the angle is 11.31 degrees, or, it diverges 1 unit for every 5 linear units, the Substitution radius of a #5 is 44" and the point radius is 23".
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

townfan

Thanks for the detailed response Jake. I think the #5 turnout meets the criteria the best