News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

connectors

Started by ta152h0, November 16, 2007, 01:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

I thought there was only one way to install the tender-locomotive connectors but my 4-8-2 heavy mountain runs backwards. which connectors did I misconnect with my fat fingers ?

I have the MRC Prodigy Advance 2 system

SteamGene

There is only one way.  The four pin goes into the four hole and the two pin goes into the two hole.   Your power pack may have the power wires reversed, or what the power pack sees as forward, your locomotive sees as reverse. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

Gene has assumed you are using your Prodigy to run a dc locomotive.  I will assume you are using it to run one with a decoder installed.

The decoder may be plugged in backwards.  Decoders with 8 pin plugs can be installed in their sockets either way and still work, but if plugged in backwards, the locomotive will run backwards.

Another possibility is that CV29 is incorrectly programmed.  If the number in CV29 is odd, the locomotive is programmed to go backwards when your Prodigy is set for forward.  If this is the case, then program CV29 to a value 1 less than it is right now.

By the way, if the decoder is plugged in backwards, you can program CV29 to a value of 1 more than it is right now and that should take care of the problem.

There is always a chance that the motor is wired in reverse or even the magnets were put in backwards, but check the decoder and/or its programming first as they are easy to do. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

r.cprmier

Jim, Ta, and Gene;
This is yet another reason I endorse direct connections.  I believe it was either Hunt or Nigel whose post I first read it, but if you have a VOM and a little knowledge of how this stuff works, you can successfully hook up everything according to how you want it.

IN the grand scheme of things, the red and black wires from the loco (two pin connector) is feed.  This can be verified by doing a continuity check between wire and respective side.  NEVER ASSUME!  it is too easy for someone in the factory to (God forbid) get it wrong.
The four wire connector is for the motor and the light.  The motor will generally read some form of resistance (I generally read about 60 ohms), while the light (LED) will not.  It will read zero or infinity.
All in all, I endorse completely bypassing the block, as keeping it in house will only invite trouble.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!