News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Baldwin D3 2-6-0

Started by Cottonhead, December 08, 2015, 05:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Years ago Mantua did a more or less generic Baldwin 2-6-0 with small drivers and the second sand dome. The main problem was the rear sand dome was way over size. Fortunately it started life as a kit, and the domes were removable. So it's not a super major problem.

They still occasionally show up at train shows. Or you might find one on 'the Bay', just watch out if they description starts out with, "Rare and hard to find", or "Vintage". Depending on condition $10 to $30 is reasonable, $159 is not.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Cottonhead

ok, thanks for the tip about Mantua. I will check that out.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: Cottonhead on December 09, 2015, 11:37:42 PM
Wow thanks for all the help. Yep, that's the photo of the 340 in Malden I couldn't copy or print it.  Aslo, thanks for the tip about the Mogul in Pine Bluff Museum.

I may just go ahead and get an Alco 2-6-0 for now.  I've never tried kitbashing on a locomotive and as much as I would like to stay authenic I would probably mess it up.

...so,ok Bachmann we have some takers here including myself.....when can we expect to see delivery on a Baldwin D3 2-6-0 mogul?

May I suggest a Precision Scale Co. HO scale steam locomotive brass detail catalog, it comes in handy for kitbashers, also the Bachmann Parts catalog is also a wonderful resource when their stuff is in stock.

Trainman203

The mogul at Pine Bluff is no. 336.  She was obtained in very poor condition and will never run again.  I was there many long years ago and saw her half apart up in the shop building.  I don't think they've ever gotten very far with the restoration.

Cottonhead

Thanks  for all of the pointers and go to's, very helpful.