News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Baldwin D3 2-6-0

Started by Cottonhead, December 08, 2015, 05:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cottonhead

New to the board here.  I've been trying to find a HO scale Baldwin D3 2-6-0.  I have a picture (1940's )of the protoype number 340 in Malden, Mo before it went t0 the scrap yard. I think it was a Cotton Belt short line unit that may have run from Bird's Pint , to Malden, MO.  I looked into what Backman produces but didn't find one.

Thanks

Trainman203

Cottonhead

I thought I could copy/print the photo but it must be protected in some way.  I goggeled it as "Cotton Belt Locomotive page 34" and the Locomotive 340 is at the bottom of page 74.

Thanks

Cottonhead

Thanks. I should have noted the photo is located in the on-line book Cotton Belt Locomotives by Joesph Strapac, page 74.

Just curious if any HO scale models of the Bladwin D3 2-6-0 were ever manufactured, or can they be kitbashed from other models?

Thanks

ebtnut

I couldn't track down the Stapac page, but there is a pic of No. 338 to be found.  It acutally looks to be close to Bachmann's Alco 2-6-0, except that the drivers are maybe a foot smaller in diameter. 

electrical whiz kid

I am going to stay with the "Boston and Maine" logo and just keep it as stock as I can.  On my railroad, I will be able to interchange B&M with my road.  I like the engine I like the way it runs, so there...

RIch C.

Cottonhead

Many thanks for the help. I'll check out Bachman's Alco 2-6-0. Close may have to count in this case.  I want to model a cotton belt short line (Wyatt portion) that hauled bales of cotton from Wyatt, MO to Malden, MO and connected up with the St. Louis & SW Railway or Mopac.  That Cotton Belt short line pull a few box cars and a drover's caboose that my mom and older sibblings rode on many times to see her folks in Lilbourn, Mo (close to Malden). I grew up there on a small cotton farm near Wyatt, the 2-6-0 was before my time but I remember the VO1000 ( I have the HO version of that) very well that replaced it. One track from Malden to Wyatt and on to Birds Point.  There was a turn table coming into Wyatt.

Thanks again.

Trainman203

There's a Cotton Belt mogul at the museum in Pine Bluff Arkansas.

ryeguyisme

Looking at this engine, the Bachmann alco is aesthetically a completely different animal:

boiler is bigger, sits higher, no valve gear, cylinders are different as well, the domes are different, there's another 'sand dome'(I believe), the rear driver is space further from the second set, the smokebox door is flatter, and that's what I can come up with for now.

The deal killer for me is the rear driver spacing or else this engine is a pretty darn close match if you can kitbash/modify the rest of the details. But this is Model Railroading, and you're free to even imagine your own equipment but if you're anything like me, you want the look and feel of that certain prototype that you're interested in. I'd say go for it. I can't think of anything close in brass other than SP 2-6-0's(even those would need extensive work)

Trainman203

Now THERE is something the Bach Man ought to build for us!

ryeguyisme

Quote from: Trainman203 on December 09, 2015, 11:04:39 PM
Now THERE is something the Bach Man ought to build for us!

If Bachmann made these I wouldn't mind a couple :)

Cottonhead

Wow thanks for all the help. Yep, that's the photo of the 340 in Malden I couldn't copy or print it.  Aslo, thanks for the tip about the Mogul in Pine Bluff Museum.

I may just go ahead and get an Alco 2-6-0 for now.  I've never tried kitbashing on a locomotive and as much as I would like to stay authenic I would probably mess it up.

...so,ok Bachmann we have some takers here including myself.....when can we expect to see delivery on a Baldwin D3 2-6-0 mogul?

Cottonhead

I do plan to kitbash some caboose/s with a Bachmann wooden (plastic) passenger car to build a drover's caboose.  The one I plan to build is on railnet picture.net by Steve Patterson. It's a prototype Cotton Belt drover's caboose pulled by a VO1000 diesel.  I was able to get the picture but it is also copyright protected....so I'm alittle spooked to post it.  This may have been the caboose my mom rode on...don't know for sure, but it would have been pulled by a Baldwin 2-6-0 (D3?) in your posted photo, or one like it.  Wouldn't that be a hoot if that caboose and the 340 mogul was the train she rode back then?

Thanks.

Cottonhead

I forgot to say the photo of the drover's caboose was taken in Libourn, mo in 1962, probably not long befor it's last days.

J3a-614

Quote from: ryeguyisme on December 09, 2015, 10:31:25 PM

Looking at this engine, the Bachmann alco is aesthetically a completely different animal:

boiler is bigger, sits higher, no valve gear, cylinders are different as well, the domes are different, there's another 'sand dome'(I believe), the rear driver is space further from the second set, the smokebox door is flatter, and that's what I can come up with for now.

The deal killer for me is the rear driver spacing or else this engine is a pretty darn close match if you can kitbash/modify the rest of the details. But this is Model Railroading, and you're free to even imagine your own equipment but if you're anything like me, you want the look and feel of that certain prototype that you're interested in. I'd say go for it. I can't think of anything close in brass other than SP 2-6-0's(even those would need extensive work)

She's very much a Baldwin!  Those "wedding cake" domes are a standard Baldwin design (some people think they make an engine look old, and the design does go back to the 1890s or before, but they were used on engines built as late as 1937 and maybe later).  It does have valve gear, just that it's Stephenson, which is between the frames and not visible; this engine also has flat or D valves.  The second sand dome may have been added later.  Compared to the Bachmann 2-6-0, this one is both older and larger.  Mechanically it is close to being as built, which was probably around 1900-1905; changes are in plumbing and probably the addition of electric headlights. 

An interesting and classic locomotive, perhaps closer to the Ten Wheeler than the Mogul overall.