News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Son's HO Bachman is not working

Started by ahogg, December 09, 2015, 10:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahogg

Hello, my son has a Bachman HO 3001 with an easy track. The engine is not receiving power. Any ideas on what could be causing this. I used a circuit tester and it was showing no power on the tracks. Could it be the controller not sending the power?

jbrock27

What kind of controller (power source) is in play here?
Did you try disconnecting the power source from the track and putting your tester to the terminals of the power source?
Is the outlet you are plugged into working?
Keep Calm and Carry On

ahogg

All i have is the item number 46605a. The light on the controller lights up but i did not get any power from the cord going to the track or from the two accessory plugs. I am just not sure if there is not enough power to light up the tester.

jbrock27

This a DC setup or DCC?

And do you have just a continuity tester or a multi meter as well?

This train stuff new?

And this is also a reason I recommend MRC power packs...
Keep Calm and Carry On

ahogg

Hunt

jbrock27

You have to tell, I can't tell ;)

Is it just 2 wires connected to the track and you turn the dial up and the loco (train) moves no other buttons to push to get the loco to move?

*I should not have had to do this, but GOOGLE shows that to be a basic DC power pack.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ahogg

he has had it for a couple of years. he likes to set it up every once in awhile. I am new to it though. I was using a continuity tester. i have a multimeter too. not sure how to test it for power. sorry i tried google first and couldn't find anything that helped. Yes it is a basic controller.

jbrock27

Set the meter to DC, a setting 20 volts or higher, plug in the power pack and put the meter probes to the DC contacts and measure while you turn up the dial.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ahogg

I will have to try that tomorrow after i find my meter. I will let you know what i find out.

jbrock27

Very good.  Turnin in my self.  Good night! :)
Keep Calm and Carry On