News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N&W M-class 4-8-0

Started by NWsteam, November 17, 2007, 05:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsteam

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a decent looking /running Norfolk and Western 4-8-0 without paying an arm and a leg for a sunset model?  If not, any ideas on how to model one?  I know that this was not a type ran by many railroads and Bachmann will probably not produce this model.  If they did I think enough people would buy.  Maybe this would be a good project for you Mr. Bachmann!

GN.2-6-8-0

Gene
The N &W class Ms are only to be found in brass I'm afraid, I myself really love the looks of them and even though a GN. fan would gobble up a few if Bachmann in all their wisdom were to produce this great looking  freight hog ......ya just gotta love those Mastodon 's. ;D
Rocky Lives

SteamGene

Only brass.  Only likely brass.  Good luck on eBay
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

VTBob

Why not kitbash/scratchbuild one using the spectrum 2-8-0 as a base model? :)

Gotta use what ya got if ya can't afford the brass :)

Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

SteamGene

I think the 2-8-0 is much too small for the N&W4-8-0.  Remember, N&W used them in lieu of the 2-8-2.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

NWsteam

Now that I have posted it, I can't even find a brass model any more.
What would your suggestion be for a kitbash steamGene?

Nigel

For kit bashing, start with a Spectrum 4-6-0 with the 56" drivers (sometimes advertised as 52" driver, but measure them).  This provides you with the 4 wheel pony truck, the cylinders and boiler front in the correct position, and teh correct sized drivers.  Then it is just a matter or adding a fourth driver axle, see Nov and Dec issues of RMC for one method of doing this (the articles are on doing an N scale 2-10-0 from a 2-8-2).

The N&W M and M1 were not large, smaller than the Spectrum 2-8-0 - which is a HUGE 2-8-0.  The N&W M2 is about the size of the Spectrum 2-8-0.  A big problem is that the Spectrum 2-8-0 has 63" drivers, far larger than the 56/57" drivers used on the N&W M, M1 & M2.

On eBay, from time to time,  you can find the LMB model of the M for a reasonable price.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

SteamGene

I will bow to Nigel on N&W.  His comments make me again wonder why N&W never had any 2-8-2s. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

paustinsmith

4-8-0's were used by SP from the late 1800's into the 50's. The conversion I am working is a SP TW-2 built sometime in 1880 something. I am using a Mantua 4-8-0 as a base but this probably will not work for an N&W M-class. The older TW-2's sometimes had a whale back tender. I am scratch building this tender at the moment.

Peter Smith, Memphis

ta152h0

It is very possible that model railroaders are good with kids ?