EZ Command controller died - any help appreciated

Started by beezerhale, December 29, 2015, 10:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beezerhale

Hi. I am hoping someone here will have a good answer to this problem.

My son, 9, is a huge Bachman fan and has a pretty good collection of HO engines. He received a Pere Marquette with sound for Christmas. He had not used the EZ Command Controller that came with another set last year. He has been using a Tech4. With he new engine came the need to use the EZ Command controller. It worked for almost two days with just a few hours of use. Then it just stopped. He said it smelled "funny".  --- FYI - I know he is young, but he treats his engines and equipment with great care. He even has a family friend who is in his 70s that taught him everything he knows.

Is there any type of repair or replacement that any of you know of? I can't afford to buy a new controller at this time.

Thank you!

Brian Hale

jbrock27

Hello Brian and welcome :)

It's the EZ Command Controller that smells funny, not the loco correct?  Has your son run any of the other locos from his collection on this controller to see what happens?  

And just to clarify, all locos are being run on DC?  Or some on DC some on DCC?
Keep Calm and Carry On

beezerhale

The controller will not power on. It was the controller that had the smell. He says he is running DCC On Board and DCC Sound. He hooked his Tech4 controller back up and everything runs fine.

Bucksco

beezerhale

Thank you! I sent them an email a few hours ago. I was just checking here to see if there was a fix I could try on my end. I appreciate the help.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

correct me if I am wrong but isn't the ez command a 1 amp system? sound equipped locomotives have a relatively high current draw, and if your son was operating more than just the sound equipped locomotive when this happened it is possible he exceeded the current rating on the ez command. 
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA