New Thunder Valley locomotive light comes on, but does not run

Started by OldManKris, December 31, 2015, 03:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldManKris

Just put together my new Thunder Valley set with EMD GP40 Diesel Locomotive. I am using the EZ-Track pieces contained in the set, forming a circle. I believe everything is connected properly. Connections between track sections are smooth. Red LED on the Speed Controller comes on. I can push the locomotive smoothly across the rerailer track and around the circle.

The locomotive's lights turn on when I apply power. But the train does not move.

I may have imagined it, but it seems like a couple of times when I turned on the power, the locomotive jerked a little. Can't repeat it. I've also tried changing the direction, but that has not helped.

I'm planning to call the service line on Monday (it's New Year's Eve, and they aren't answering today), but if anyone has any ideas for simple fixes, I'd appreciate them.

Thanks,
- Kris

spookshow

Sounds like either the motor contacts aren't touching the frame properly or the motor itself is bad. I assume you're not getting any sort of humming sound? That would mean that the gears are jammed up somehow.

Cheers,
-Mark

OldManKris

OldManKris

Well, I don't know what was wrong, but it's working now.

I got a multimeter and verified that I had continuity between all the track sections.

I measured the voltage between the rails without the locomotive on the track, and it was about 28V with full power.

I then put the locomotive on the track, and measured about 15V between the rails with full power.

Then, a few seconds after I measured the voltage, the locomotive suddenly started moving! It has been working fine since.

I have no idea why it suddenly decided to work.

gatrhumpy

It may have been that the lubrication was hard and something needed to get it going.

OldManKris

Update: My new train has been running for a few weeks, and while it seems to move fine, it is very noisy. I don't know whether it is a normal level of noise, but I don't remember hearing any other model trains making this much noise. I've been hoping it would get smoother after running for a while, but it's not improving.

The noise is a combination of a low-level hum (like an electric motor or transformer) and a buzzing that I think is friction between pieces. I can't tell if the buzzing is coming from inside the locomotive or is from wheels being dragged on the track.

The noise is worse when the train is going around a turn. The noise is less bad when the locomotive is going in reverse. The noise is at its worst when the locomotive is traveling at top speed, but I also hear it when the train is moving at its slowest speed.

I hear the noise with or without cars attached to the locomotive.

Is there anything I should check to diagnose the problem? Should I try lubrication (even though it is only a few weeks old)?

Is there any easy way to compare my train's noise to "normal" train noise? Most model train videos I find on the Internet have no sound, or don't have a microphone near the locomotive.

brokemoto

I do not have the B-mann GP-40 (prototype is far too modern for me). 

Still...............

It seems that there is something in the mechanism that may be misaligned, as you mention that it is worse on the curves or in forward.  You could check the lubrication to see if it has caked, but, if that is the case, the best thing to do is to disassemble completely, clean out the old lubricant completely, then re-lubricate.  B-mann power tends to be far overlubricated at the factory.   Unless you are pretty sure that you can get it back together, you might want to beware of disassembling.

Before doing anything, you might be better off waiting until some posters who have the thing can comment.  You might check Spookshow's website to see it he has made any comments on the noise.  He will comment from time to time on annoying characteristics of the power and remedies, if he knows them.

gatrhumpy

Ken G Price

Remove the shell and see if that helps. Sometimes there will be buzzing noise if it is not fitting correctly.
I have had this happen on a few engines. Parts of the shell pieces were vibrating.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/