News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Project for a 45 Tonner

Started by Side Rod, January 03, 2016, 10:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side Rod

Hello guys (and gals),

I am brand new to this forum so please excuse my ignorance if this topic has been rehashed a thousand times before.
I have a 45 tonner on the way and would like to add sound.  My concern is with speaker selection and from what I've been able to gather the factory provides a 10 mm hole in the gas tank for this purpose.  I am familiar with membrane sub mini speakers having installed quite a few but can not find any of the correct dimensions to fit in this locomotive.

So I'm curious if there are any members out there that have installed sound in one of these critters and if so what speaker configuration you used.  As a sidebar, I will be incorporating a LokSound Select micro for the sound decoder.

Much obliged for any thoughts or suggestions.

Side Rod

Hunt

Side Rod

Thanks for the article Hunt.  He has a YouTube vid that somewhat mirrors his article and refers to a 4 ohm, 10mm speaker but doesn't mention the brand.  LokSound offers 4 ohm speakers but they don't list a 10 mm.  May try and contact him directly.

Again, thanks for the link.

Catweasel

I've got the 44 tonner and fitted sound to that. Loksound Micro replaced the stock chip and I've fitted a Sony phone speaker under the cab roof. Seems to work well. I did the same trick with the Bachmann Plymouth Switcher. The sound file I used for that was the Loksound 6 cyl and an air whistle.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure.

Side Rod

Catweasel

Just an idea. With the phone speakers I had no enclosures. So I got some 40 thou plastic card, measured the speaker and cut the card to suit. Plastic Weld was applied to the inside of the box and the speaker glued to the open side. One enclosure done.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure.

electrical whiz kid

siderod;
\Try some of the wholesalers like Mouser. 

Rich C.

brokenrail

Put a zimo sugar cube in it with enclosure that will fit .Nothing better at this time.

kamerad47

It would be nice if someone would make a small keep alve for it !!!!!!

groovy

Try Tonys Train Exchange,TDS Super Sonic mini speaker ( sugar cube ) 8 ohms, 15mm x 11mm 3.6mm H, also get a enclosure,i have one in my 45 ton loco and sounds Great.

Side Rod

I'm seeing mixed reviews on the actual hole size for the speaker.  Some report the diameter is 10mm while others are saying 13mm.  I guess the only way to find out is when I get the locomotive.  Either way I'm beginning to abandon the idea of using the hole in the air tanks and leave the weight in there and go with a membrane speaker like a Zimo or SuperSonic.  By the way groovy, where did you end up mounting your SuperSonic?

Actually, Lenz makes a Keep Alive that will fit in both the 44 and 45 tonners, at least when using the ESU micro decoder.  It's called a Lenz Power-1 USP Energy Module and is sold by Tony's Train Exchange.  Downside...it's $65 plus shipping.  Yikes!

Thanks for the help and advise guys. 

groovy

Side rod: I used a small dab of Latex caulk to secure the speaker to the roof of the loco next to the side of the enginer,i do not have a photo account so i can't post any photos.but if you do a google search you may find more info, plus photos of installs. i placed the decoder flat on the of the  top of the light board,if you have the instructions it will show you were to solder all the wires.I can't remember if i used any resistors for the lights, maybe someone else can verify that. I used a micro select #73800 and the #73844 sound file ( catepiller-44 ) sound installed by Tonys. Good luck with your install and take your time don't rush. 

Side Rod

groovy- So you glued the SuperSonic and enclosure to the roof of the cab firing down, right?  Looks like the body shell is one piece so did you open any of the side windows to let the sound out or does it sound ok as is?

groovy

Side rod : I left it as is. when you first start up the decoder, the sound will be set very high. When you finnish the install and test it, you can make all your adjustments.get back to me if you need more info. Groovy

Side Rod

groovy- Cool...and thanks for the offer.  I've installed about 5-6 Select Micro's but all in larger loco's and I know what you mean about the loudness.  The default volume level is high enough to rattle the rafters..  With the advent of these  next generation membrane speakers I started putting two speakers wired in parallel in each loco and have beenvery pleased the the results.  Clear, crisp and robust.  I got onto a Company called Knowles that has been making these membrane speakers for cell phones, tablets ect.  The one I have been using is a 13mm x 18mm.  Now they just introduced a membrane speaker using silicone for the membrane that is supposed to outdo all the others.  It only comes in an 11mm x15mm configuration.  I think I'll order one of those and a TDS Super-Sonic and see which one sounds the best to me.  I've never had a loco as small as this 45 tonner but I am intrigued with it.  The other concern I have is stalling. on turn outs.  Have you experienced any problems with this?  Thanks for indulging me.