News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2 HO "runaway"

Started by jondrd, November 18, 2007, 02:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jondrd

Does the HO 2-6-6-2 have to have capacitor(s) cut away as was, for example, necessary on earlier Spectrum 2-8-0's when installing a decoder? I've had a few instances of the "runaway" phenomenon when using a decoder plugged into the 8-pin receptacle on the board in the tender. I've assumed it was a plug-n-play install. If capacitor(s) have to be cut away, there are two C1, C2. Both? One? None?

Thanks,
     jondrd

SteamGene

All of the little ones.  All.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jondrd

Gene,
      I assume your referring to C1, C2 that I see on the tender board? It's weird that Bachmann makes something with what appears to be a plug and play feature for decoder and yet doesn't put in a "oh, by the way" notice re the capacitors if you elect to run unit with decoder.
      Various sources in the hobby have made it perfectly clear that one must disable the capacitor on the early(all?) Spectrum 2-8-0's but seem to be mum on the subject post 2-8-0's.
      I'll await your response before making cuts, don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks,
         Jon

r.cprmier

yet doesn't put in a "oh, by the way" notice re the capacitors if you elect to run unit with decoder.

Why would they?  They have researched the literature provided, and am sure aren't looking to put their butt in jeopardy in what is one of the most letigitous societies on planet Earth. This way, if you cut or otherwise alter that decoder or ancillary equipment, it is your tail, not thiers.  make sense?
Read Tsunami's literature and the caveats on same.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

They are a yellow blob, almost football shaped, sticking up on two wire legs.  I'd have to open a tender to see what they were marked, but C1 and C2 are correct.  I think Rich is right about the reasons.  Several years ago they would neither confirm nor deny the need to cut the capacitors but now say that cutting them does not void the warranty. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jondrd

Gene, Rich,
     Paralysis=lawyers got the country coming and going, nets out to zero progress.  :(
     In Bachmann's case maybe they should introduce the legal beagles to the engineering dept. It seems there are no down sides to showing the capacitor(s) out the door. Any downsides(radio interference or whatever) should be able to be covered by a disclaimer. Oh, forget that, the legal guys are probably worried about someone cutting themselves when they cut through the capacitor leads. Can you imagine the lawsuit when someone bleeds out from capacitor cutting?  ::)
     OK, I'm cutting 'em loose. Let you guys know how everything works out. After getting the capacitor thing worked out(er, off), I'll have a go at getting the cab and boiler off to see if I can do anything about some drivetrain binding.

Again, thanks for your help.
  Jon