News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

more bridging questions

Started by billgiannelli, January 08, 2016, 11:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

I am using bachmann code 100 flex track and am building a Micro Engineering Tall Steel Viaduct bridge.
All the instructions refer to M.E. code 83 flex track.
Can i just use my code 100 flextrack for the bridge and then use code 70 for the guard rails?
or can I (should I) mix the code 100 and code 83(for the bridge)?
should the guard rails extend beyond the bridge onto the abutment?
thanks
Bill

jward

guard rails, when they were used, extended far beyond the bridge abutment. their purpose was to pull a derailed car back into alignment with the rest of the train so it wouldn't topple off the bridge. the car would still be off the track, but it is better to chew up a few ties on the bridge than risk structural damage from a toppling car.

either of the methods you mentioned will work. code 83 can be used with code 100 as long as the tops and inner edges of the rails are aligned. or you could just use the code 100 throughout.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

billgiannelli

thank you very much for your help!!!!!
bridge is nearing completion!
:)
Bill

billgiannelli

ok, so it is probably apparent that I am blundering through this bridge project I am doing.
I started to shape my bachmann 100 code flex track for my bridge and I now realize that the ties do not seem wide enough to accommodate the guard timbers. The M.E. code 83 track has ties that are wider in order to take the guard timbers. I might go to the M.E. code 83 track for my bridges.
Bill

jward

if you are mixing rail sizes you may want to look into atlas code 100-83 transition joiners. these will help keep the rail tops aligned.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Quote from: billgiannelli on January 09, 2016, 10:36:18 AM
ok, so it is probably apparent that I am blundering through this bridge project I am doing.
I started to shape my bachmann 100 code flex track for my bridge and I now realize that the ties do not seem wide enough to accommodate the guard timbers. The M.E. code 83 track has ties that are wider in order to take the guard timbers. I might go to the M.E. code 83 track for my bridges.
Bill

Railroads use "bridge timbers" when put the deck on bridges.  These are NOT standard ties.  They are usually heavier and wider than regular ties.

Cheers

Roger T.