News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Russian Decapod Motor Access

Started by Isambard, November 19, 2007, 08:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isambard

This past week I completed some customizing on the Grizzly Northern's newest and fourth Russian Dec and started running-in at the club on Saturday. However after about an hour of smooth running at medium speed the loco stalled and refused to respond, although the DH123 decoder proved to be good. Testing without a decoder, with a shorting plug installed and using 00 address there was no typical sizzle to be heard.

In subsequent testing with a multimeter I found an open circuit at the loco connector terminals connecting to the motor, as compared to about 30 ohms for an operable Russian. Therefore it looks as if the motor has burnt out or gone open circuit.

My problem at the monment is how to gain access to the motor. Referring to the loco diagram I have removed screw 00219 securing the front bottom frame to the cylinder saddle, screw 10109 securing the rear bottom frame to the central split block holding the motor and screw 10181 holding the draw bar, which also appears to run through to central split block. However  I still haven't found the secret to releasing the cab and boiler from the bottom frame, in the same way as for a 2-8-0. What am I missing? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isambard

rogertra

Bachmann “Russian” 2-10-0 Disassembly

1. Unscrew pony truck assembly being careful not to lose the spring.

2. Gently pull the grate shakers free from the frame under both sides of the cab.

3. Remove the drawbar and the screw up through the cylinder saddle freeing the boiler assembly.

4. Use a very thin screwdriver or knife blade to gently pry the cab free while jiggling it back and forth.  Look for the little tabs at the front corners of the cab that will release with a little pressure.

5. Now remove any of the piping detail from the boiler that looks as though it will interfere with the boiler removal.  Can’t be more helpful as this varies by model.

6. It should now be possible to very gently lift the boiler from the chassis.  Look carefully for any boiler details that may get hung up.  The boiler subassembly includes the motor, drive screw, upper plastic shell, metal boiler bottom and running boards.

7. To free the shell from the weighted base, carefully lift off the running boards and separate the shell from the motor housing and weight.  The front firebox wall, under the boiler, needs to be pulled forward and removed to fully release the motor housing.

That should be it.

Just take your time.

Isambard

Thanks Roger.
I'll proceed cautiously. It's a toss up whether I continue on this loco before I finish some customizing touches on another Russian or a 2-6-6-2 Monashee.  :)
Isambard