News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Graphite for conductivity?

Started by plint, February 07, 2016, 08:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plint

Saw a you tube video about applying a graphite stick on the rail tops for better continuity.  Anyone done this?
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

Len

Since graphite's also used as a lubricant I'd be concerned about increased wheel slip. Especially with long and/or heavy trains.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Not every Youtube video is a good idea.....lol.

Sid

plint

jbrock27

Quote from: WoundedBear on February 07, 2016, 10:16:37 PM

Sid

Agree! :D

Never read, heard or have seen anyone doing this.
Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

Pray tell,
Where is that graphite dust going to end up after it is worn from the railhead and the wheels?
To places you lubricated on your lokie?

Your best continuity will come from as clean as possible contact points.

Don't believe anything you hear, and less from anything you see on the Internet.
Experiment for yourself to find truth.

It's like treating a snot nose, sure you can buy medicine at the local drug store, but are you suppressing the symptoms, or actually curing the root cause?

plint

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 08, 2016, 12:22:16 PM

Sid

Watch the video??    I posted the link.

brokenrail

Also seen the video.Not a good Idea.As bad or worse then smoke.Graphite is a slippery material.Does not belong on the rails.Seems inventing a good track cleaner

is about the same as inventing a better mouse trap .And keeping our rails clean has had many ideas as the mouse trap. Witch is the best? I like sending out the

maintenance train with a few different track cleaners in tow to try to make it work for itself as much as possible ,but still especially with dcc and sound and a
large layout.It becomes more like work.How can a better track cleaner maintenance train be made to do most the work and add a benefit of enjoyment in the process??Anybody want to go there?Happy Model Railroading!
Johnny Adam

on30gn15

Gn15 modelers have been doing this for years, even a whole decade, especially the folks who go to exhibitions in UK and France.
It works, and is not as powerful a "lubricant" as most suspect.

Graphite also helps reduce flange friction on sharp curves.

If you wish. look up this forum and search graphite, The GnATTERbox
Gn15.info's discussion board
Graphite conversation goes back to at least 2005.

It is interesting to watch people at our train club wonder why trains ran better before they cleaned the rails, and wonder what they did wrong to cause that.
Oh well; several years ago I told several times about the graphite thing, and was dismissed.
Now I occasionally treat the track when no one else is there; then sit back and watch yet another episode of people wondering why trains ran better before they cleaned the rails and what did they did wrong to cause that.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

HoModeler

Quote from: plint on February 07, 2016, 08:11:45 PM
Saw a you tube video about applying a graphite stick on the rail tops for better continuity.  Anyone done this?

plint.... I use a drop or two of WAHL Electric Hair Clipper Oil I buy a bottle from my local barber $5.50 I Pay...

I only apply 1-2 Drops on my Rail Tops & then run my Locos over the applied area... Works great for me My Locos keep the continuity very well...

My Grandfather used this Oil for Years on his layout & when I built mine he suggested I use the same practice & to my knowledge his Locos ran without a hitch or glitch or major issues... & has been working for me using the WAHL Clipper Oil...

Also keeping your Track Rails clean help.. I Clean my Rail's every day before Play or have a few neighbors over for an operating session...

I do believe there are a few products on the HO Market that you can try & will aid you in continuity but not 100% on there results I for 1 never tried any of those products....

Len

Graphite on the inside corner of 'G' rails, where the locos are heavier and there's a lot more surface contact between the rail head and wheels, is a whole different thing than applying it to the top of HO rails.

I did the Wahl clipper oil thing back when brass rail was it. These days I'll stick with clean NS rails and wheels.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

AGSB

The graphite is not applied to the top of all the rails, just a small section here and there and then only sparingly. The train wheels then spread the graphite around the layout.

It is not a substitute for clean rails.

There has been a very heated discussion on this topic over on Model Railroad Hobbyist in the past months. Bottom line - you either love it or hate it - no consensus, no fence sitting.

jbrock27

Quote from: plint on February 08, 2016, 09:06:54 PM
Quote from: jbrock27 on February 08, 2016, 12:22:16 PM

Sid

Watch the video??    I posted the link.

It's not that I don't believe you found a vid of it ole boy.  And no, thank you, I won't be watching it :D

Quote from: HoModeler on February 09, 2016, 06:01:16 AM
I use a drop or two of WAHL Electric Hair Clipper Oil I buy a bottle from my local barber $5.50

I have as well with good results.  Found it for less through AMAZON. 
If I "put" anything on the rails, it's WAHL Clipper oil, but as Len noted, more so when using brass track and not so much with N/S track.
Keep Calm and Carry On

on30gn15

Quote from: Len on February 09, 2016, 08:23:23 AM
Graphite on the inside corner of 'G' rails, where ...
If that is in reference to the Gn15 - Gn15 rails Are HO rails.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest