News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 4-8-4 poor runner

Started by propmeup1, February 12, 2016, 05:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

propmeup1

I have two of the older 4-8-4 both Santa Fe.  They are not the very old ones but probably from the 80's.  No pick ups on the tenders. Point is one of them runs pretty good and good enough for a decoder but the other engine cuts in and out often on the curves.  I doublehead them and this helps because the one helps the other when it cuts off but looks too jerky then.    Thought about adding pick ups on the tender to improve this.

Has anyone tried that or have a better idea.

Also is the 4-8-4's that are sold today even better then they were 10-15 years ago or are they the same ??

Thank you,

Keith

spookshow

Here's a more or less complete history of the Bachmann Santa Fe 4-8-4 - http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bach484.html

Cheers,
-Mark

propmeup1

Thank you for that layout of it's history. I had the very first one when I was 12 back early 70's, Jan 74 to on date. I remember opening it up and it looked just like the first one on the list.
     How I remember that is i got it the night before Larry Fine from the Stooges died.  I got up early before school to play with the new engine and on the radio the told us Larry passed, sad day for us stooge fans but even sadder because I found out how bad the new engine ran after saving lots of snow shoveling doe to get it, I was 12.

I'll have to try a new one and put the other two in the round house for rest.

Keith

gatrhumpy

There are a number of manufacturers that make tender pickups for this engine, including Rochmond Controls.