Capacitators & resisters on dcc on board ho decoder so

Started by Bulkheadbob, February 21, 2016, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulkheadbob

Hi guys I'm a newbie to the site.i have a Bachman ho GP38-2 w/ dcc on board.i installed an mrc sound decoder in it an am running it on my layout. Nce system I have the throttle all the way to step 126 and the loco runs awfull ( stuttering jerking in both directions) now I never removed the capacitors or resisters mounted on the original motor wiring. The gears have plenty of lube and I still can't gat it to run smoothly
Even with the shell off. No. Wires are interfering with the drive train. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bulkheadbob

WoundedBear

The first thing you'll probably hear is that the MRC decoders are no good. Not true. They may not be Cadillacs, but they're no Yugo either. First thing I would check is all the connection points, pick-ups and look for loose wiring.

Others here can comment on the need to clip the capacitors. I haven't on any of my models as yet. Have you tried putting the old decoder back in?

Sid

Len

Stuttering and jerking in both directions sounds more like a mechnaical issue than a decoder. Have you tried turning the drive train by hand to feel if there's any binding, maybe from flash on a gear or a cracked gear?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

brokenrail

look at cv 124 It is like a feedback .Turn it off and see how it runs.Ill bet it will run good.Had a problem with one of those .You can live without it and it will run fine.If not you can call mrc and send it back for repair.Had one do the exact same thing.
Johnny

Bulkheadbob

So far I have tried isolating the motor from the trucks 1- at a time and still the same result .
Then I took out both drive shafts and the motor runs smoothly. As far as flash on the gears I'll have to strip it down again and take each one apart and clean and inspect them.thanks for the input folks I'll look for more posts tomorrow
Bob

brokenrail

May I ask if this engine ran like you are saying before the decider was installed.?If not see my last recommendation.
Johnny

Bulkheadbob

If my memory serves me right I did run the loco about two months ago and it ran fine
That's why I tried the sound install for my friend I still haven't tried cv124 yet

Bulkheadbob

Johnny
And the rest of the guys,thank you for all you input and help.i reset cv124 to "0" and the loco
Runs great no jerking in either direction. Using speed step 50 it ran around my smallest loop on level 3 at
47 scale mph.thanks again for all the help
Bob.