News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

empire builder set

Started by backdraft341, November 20, 2007, 07:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backdraft341

i have a empire builder set and dont know what type of couplers it has. its not the knuckle type. i would like to replace the couplers but dont know what type will fit. should i change the truks also? one more thing is the engine with that set a smoker?

GlennW

Your Empire Builder set will have Rapido couplers. If you bought it at Hobby Lobby, compare it with the stock of loose Nscale freight cars. You may find some newer stock with knucke couplers. It appears HL uses a date system on the price tag. something labeled 707 may have been there since July. Something labeled 1007 may be more recent vintage. I have seen some caboose, covered hopper, stock car with the new couplers. The old Rapidos will be floating in the box.

You have 3 choices for replacement:
1)Your best bet is to replace the Rapido with a MTL coupler. Go to the MTL website to see which one will fit your loco. You may decide to convert the tender only & leave the rest alone.

2) On the freight cars, you can swap the truck & coupler with an MTL type. Consut the MTL listing for the style that goes with the era of your car. You will have to enlarge the bolster hole to get it on the Bachmann system.

3) Spare Bachmann trucks/couplers should be available soon. Converting will be a bit easier since you won't have to do any filing.

Your loco should not be a smoker. You may want to clean & relube it to be sure it breaks in properly.

backdraft341

as far as re-lube the engine do i take the top off? i saw one screw on top. i used to race slot cars and used com drops on the brushes do i do the same for a train. i think im going to have to go with new trucks with couplers because i have a hard time working with such small parts.

GlennW

The Product Reference above may link you to some instruction sheets for Bachmann locos. It's possible the shell is held on by a screw. A quick call to the Service Dept should help answer your questions. Just be sure you use lube made for model trains. You don't want anything like WD40 that is nasty on plastic parts. Your LHS should have a bottle of lube. A dab should do the trick.