News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Power Source1

Started by harleyjim39, November 20, 2007, 07:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleyjim39

Being new to Garden Railroading creates problems. I purchased a Bachmann Annversary 4-6-0 engine Denver & Rio Grand and put a Phoenix sound system in and purchased a Aristocratic DCC power Unit/receiver & Transmitter. Only to find the this engine is not DCC Ready. Here are my questions?
   1. Where can I find the chip to put in the engine to make it DCC ready
   2. What is the voltage of this engine
   3. What controller/power source can I get to run this engine

harleyjim39

Curmudgeon

There is no "chip" to put in to make it ready for anything.
There can be screw terminals, any one of a bunch of sockets, or just hard-wire it.
And, AristoCraft is NOT dcc. Not sure what an "Aristocratic dcc" is.
If you put a Phoenix into it, obviously you have some skill level.
You also have a lower-end locomotive.
The Spectrums (except for first Shay and Climaxes) have screw terminals and instructions.

You will need more wires from engine to tender (2 for track, 2 for motor, 2 for headlight, 2 for chuff, at a minimum) and then you can connect everything up, AFTER you install tender pickups to "spread the load".

You can contact QSI, who have a screw-terminal board with socket to accept the AristoCraft throttle.

Remember, 2 wires for motor, 2 for track, 2 for headlight and 2 for backup light is the minimum to the throttle you need if track-powered (including dcc).
For radio/battery, replace switched battery for track.
As far as power, if remaining track power, don't go "cheap", get something that will grow with you.

Quote from: harleyjim39 on November 20, 2007, 07:37:28 PM
Being new to Garden Railroading creates problems. I purchased a Bachmann Annversary 4-6-0 engine Denver & Rio Grand and put a Phoenix sound system in and purchased a Aristocratic DCC power Unit/receiver & Transmitter. Only to find the this engine is not DCC Ready. Here are my questions?
   1. Where can I find the chip to put in the engine to make it DCC ready
   2. What is the voltage of this engine
   3. What controller/power source can I get to run this engine

harleyjim39