News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Passenger Car Lighting

Started by jaellis, November 20, 2007, 10:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaellis

Hi all,

I am looking to improve the lighting in my passenger Bachmann passenger cars to make it more even throughout the car.  I have a set of Silver Series Amtrak cars and Spectrum PRR cars.  I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to do this.  I know there are some lighting kits available for certain cars but I haven't found any for Bachmann cars.  I am considering soldering in a couple of grain-of-rice bulbs to the Spectrum cars.  I'm not sure what to do with the Silver Series cars as the contacts are not as accessable.

I was hoping someone could give me some suggestions for the best way to do this or if anyone know of lighting kits made for Bachmann cars.

Thanks,
Jim

lanny

Jim,

I've never tried to add lighting to the Bachmann Amtak Silver series cars ... but I am sure that some sort of lighting could be wired in if the wheels are metal and properly insulated ... your idea of the 'grain o wheat' bulbs ought to somehow be able to work in both kinds of cars.

best wishes,

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Atlantic Central

The best way to put lights in any passenger car is with EasyPeasy lighting by Rapido Trains.

It is a battery powered LED light bar that can be ajusted in length and draws no track power.

It is turned on and off with a magnetic wand.

Sheldon

jaellis

Hi all,

I put a couple of grain-of-wheat bulbs in two of the cars to try it out.  It works OK, the only problem now is that they are much brighter than the factory installed bulb. So, I guess I'll either have to replace that one too or find something else.

I tried the Easy Peasy lights but didn't like them.  They gave off a yellowish/green light and had to get the magnet wand in across it very close and could only seem to get it turned on in the observation car with any consistancy.

One other thought I had was to use the light sets that are made for other cars and just run a wire from it's connection to the pick ups in the Bachmann cars.  I am supposing they will fit, just have the connections in a different location.  Can anyone give me a yes or no they won't fit on that.

Thanks again,
Jim

Conrail Quality

Well, light sets from Bachmann Acela cars should fit. Currently, all my Acela cars are being cannabalized for other projects, but, fom what I recall, the lighting was quite good. One thing intriguing on the Acela lights is that the Acela cars have a very reflective foil on the inside roof of the cars. Maybe this could help in luighting quality. Just an idea...
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

taz-of-boyds

Maybe metal tape (Lowe's WalMart etc., the stuff is ~2" wide very handy for things duct tape does not work for) would be good for the roof, and for lining the inside of buildings (to block light).  Don't know why I haven't thought of that before.

Though my plans are for LED's, I don't like the heat from the incandescents, melted roofs and all.

Have fun,
Charles