DCC on board gp 9 runs better in dc mode any ideas?

Started by brokenrail, March 24, 2016, 01:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenrail

Just got my new gp 9 ad it looks great .Ran it a wile in dcc and it does not move until about 20 speed steps and noisy .I switched over to dc and it ran great at slow speeds and pretty quiet..Switched back over to dcc and all kinds of noise and it would not move in relation to all the electrical noise of the motor Untill 20 speed steps.Obviously the problem is not the motor, but the decoder.I Believe this is not normal even for the dcc onboard factory all in one circuit board dcc decoder set up.If anything digital should run better then dc.There any tricks for these or is this decoder board just a dud?
Johnny Adam

bapguy

Write CV 2 to a value of 0. Try that. That should make the loco start out on speed step 1. If not increase the value by 1 until you get what you want. You may want to replace the decoder as the ones Bachmann uses aren't that good. If it's the one with an 8 pin plug, TCS makes great decoders. NCE makes a board style as well.  Joe
NCE    https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200945019-BACH-DSL

brokenrail

Apparently the onboard decoders are not so good and it is well known.So why has Bachmann still using them ,and or has not updated them as technology has progressed in the past 20 years since their introduction?
Johnny