News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Steam Loco 2-8-2

Started by joeprr, June 30, 2016, 03:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeprr

I purchased a Bachmann 2-8-2 dcc steam loco and I think I might have a problem. When I run the loco in the forward direction the engine starts to squeal. When I run it in reverse it intermittingly squeals. I also notice on the curves, 22 inch radius, the engine leans causing the pilot wheels to jump the track. Can anyone help?

ebtnut

Check to see if there is any packing material stuck behind the pilot or trailing truck.

joeprr

Didn't find any packing material. Still have the squeal.

joeprr

This is the third time I ran this loco. When I first got it to check if it ran, second when I upgraded my track plan, and third when I programmed the decoder. Why do I need to lube the loco?

jbrock27

Bc it may help with the squeal you reported, although in my opinion, new locos from the factory are usually over lubed.  Is this fairly new made or "new in the box", having sat somewhere for a length of time?

I don't believe the lubing will cure your track jumping issue but, even if the lubing does not work, there will be the benefit of you opening up the loco, which may lead you to find something on inspection that is causing the issues.
Keep Calm and Carry On

joeprr

This loco is new. Sat for some time around 3 months. I know the wheel arrangements are different but another new loco, a 2-6-0, sat for the same amount of time and no problems. I really don't want to open the loco because I am not sure of myself. Thank you.

jbrock27

Quote from: joeprr on July 01, 2016, 02:05:12 PM
I really don't want to open the loco because I am not sure of myself.

How come?

How about taking that first big step toward a whole new universe?

Let me also ask; had this thing run the same way before, as it did after, your aforementioned upgraded track plan?
Keep Calm and Carry On

joeprr

No. It ran great. Yes I am going to take the big step. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

jbrock27

You're welcome :)

Make sure you keep us up to date on how you make out and what happens.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

Give the Bachmann Service Department a call. They may be able to help you.

joeprr

First: Thank all of you for responding to my post.
Update: Receive the loco back from Bachmann yesterday. No written on what was wrong or what they repaired. Ran the loco today and loco kept derailing. Pilot truck kept hoping the track. When I looked at the pilot truck the mounting screw was missing. I found the screw but I could not screw it all the way in. This is allowing the truck to raise up and cause derailments. To say the least I am not harry.

jonathan

Joe, I'm working on two mikados at the moment. Here's my experience so far...

The pony truck on both locos was a little out of gage. This is common. You'll need a wheel gage tool to get it right. This will cut down on derailments. For what it's worth. I've had to adjust the lead and trail trucks on numerous steamers, not just Bachmann locos. Just part of the hobby my friend.

I haven't heard your squeal, but the most common noise for me is the pick up brush squeal on the tender axles.  This is fixed by applying a tiny drop of conductalube to the axles.

Oh, make sure you have the pony truck down all the way THROUGH the post before you attach the screw.
Make sure the truck is not upside down, too. Happens all the time.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Jonathan

joeprr

Thank you Jonathan. This is a new steam loco. What you are suggesting should not apply to a new loco. The pony truck was all the way down. The screw will not go all the way down and this allows the front of the pony truck to lift up off the rails.

jbrock27

Seems pretty bogus to me you got it back from Service in that condition and is not something to be overlooked or glossed over. >:(  WTH!

Jonathan, all the things you mentioned; why couldn't the Service Department have checked for these things and then resolved them?  They are the SERVICE Department ???  Was that not the reason why joe sent it to them?  I have to think that if joe could or wanted to fix it himself, he would not have sent it in to be repaired.
Keep Calm and Carry On