News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tips for starting N scale?

Started by CPRailHelmet, July 12, 2016, 03:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CPRailHelmet

I'm starting N scale but don't know what set to get. In a shop near me they the Bachmann Thunder Valley set, also they have the FT diesel locomotive McKinley explorer. I would like to know which one is better. Thank you! EDIT: Oops, sorry, F9 diesel. :)

brokemoto

The current McKinley Explorer Alaska Railroad set has a GP-something in it.  I have neither the locomotive nor the cars as they are too modern a prototype for me.   The passenger cars are full size, which means that they would look better on curves of fifteen inches, or greater. 
B-mann does sell E-Z TRAK in those radii, or more broad, but I do not think that curve sections that broad come in any of its sets.   

I do seem to recall that B-mann used to sell an Alaska Railroad set with F-units, but I do not remember which F-units it had.   If, indeed, it did sell such a set at one time, I do seem to recall that it had the same full size passenger cars in it.   If B-mann ever sold an FT in N scale, I have never seen one.  The only F units that B-mann ever sold, at least of which I am aware, are FP-9s or F-7s.

The FP-9s are an older design that has had different power chassis, over the years, most of which ranged from barely mediocre to bad, very bad.  They appear out of scale, as well.  I would stay away from them.

There have been three versions of the F-7 of which I am aware:  the PLUS, the SPECTRUM and the current one that has factory DCC.

Stay away from the PLUS.  The SPECTRUM are acceptable.   The current version, with the factory DCC are the best of the bunch, whether you choose to run them on DCC or DC (they have a dual-mode decoder).  You would need to find out which F-unit the Alaska Railroad train set has.   

The THUNDER VALLEY set has a GP something about which I know nothing, as the prototype is too modern for me.   It has freight cars instead of passenger cars, which will look better and operate better on the sharper curves that come in train sets.  Thus, if those two sets are the only choices, you might be better off with the freight cars.

A good resource is Spookshow's website.   He rates all of the locomotives that have come out of the manufacturers over the years.

B-mann does sell some pretty good steam and first generation diesel locomotives.  I am familiar with more of the steam and first generation diesels that B-mann sells. 

You might look into some other sets or try to order locomotives, rolling stock, track and power supply separately, if financial consideration allow for it.

Len

If I were just starting in N-scale, I'd pick up a Kato M-1 or M-2 track pack http://www.katousa.com/N/Unitrack/mastervar.html, and a Bachmann loco and cars you like.

While EZ-Track is okay, the Kato line has a much wider selection of pieces, and has become the 'de facto' standard in N-scale. At least with all the clubs in this area.

Bachmann locos and cars run on the Kato track just fine, so that shouldn't be an issue. Even if you start with a Bachmann set, eventually you'll find yourself looking at things in the Kato track you want to have.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

redement

The older set had EMD F9A powered and F9B unpowered.  The 3 passenger cars are the modern Vista View.  Since Alaska Railroad has discontinued the F9's, the set from Bachmann now has an EMD GP40 with the same passenger cars and the newer controller.

I would get the Thunder Valley set has it gives you more flexibility for layout and operation.  You can add different cars for different operations.