News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

older bachmann diesel engine

Started by mdp, August 01, 2016, 03:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdp

i have and older model that i bought used and was wondering why there appears to be rubber attached to the last set of rear wheels? is this something that i can remove or does it have to stay on. thanks very much

jbrock27

Around the wheel of the loco?  If "yes", that is traction tire.  How many are there? 
When it comes to locos, light years of improvements have been made since those diesels that were run with traction tires as the traction tires often made for poor running qualities.  Sometimes replacement tires can be found, but the a problem remains: they dry out, loose their shape, get nicked.  Overall, does not make for a great (good)  running loco.
How much does this thing mean to you?
Keep Calm and Carry On

mdp

theres one on each side on the rear. Im not attached to it, Im new to this and bought it from a show near my home awhile back

jbrock27

Buy anything else while there?

I suggest that next time, put the $$ toward a loco that does not require traction tires.  Locos with these tires also generally have poor running "pancake" motors, really clunky details and poor paint and big wide open pilots.  Often, unlike more recently made locos, not all wheels on this loco are capable of picking up track power.

The wheels have what you could call "grooves" in them where you see the 2 on the wheels, right?  Do you see any other wheels that have grooves but are missing the tires?    
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: mdp on August 01, 2016, 03:30:49 PM
i have and older model that i bought used and was wondering why there appears to be rubber attached to the last set of rear wheels? is this something that i can remove or does it have to stay on. thanks very much

Replacement traction tires are available. I prefer the Calumet #505 tires for diesels. They are made of a clear material, so are not as obvious as the black ones. They are available from Walthers https://www.walthers.com/super-traction-tire-assortment-fits-diesels and other model railroad retailers. There is also a tool available that makes them easier to put on, but it's not really necessary if you're only doing a few.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on August 02, 2016, 08:43:59 AM
Replacement traction tires are available.

Len

Yes, as I previously stated...

Quote from: jbrock27 on August 01, 2016, 09:32:29 PM
Sometimes replacement tires can be found

...however, I would neither spend the $$ for them or on Bull Frog Snot (or shipping costs for either for that matter) as you are still left with a substandard running locomotive as I noted above.

Len, you have stock in Walthers? :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Quote from: jbrock27 on August 02, 2016, 12:09:32 PM
Len, you have stock in Walthers? :D

No. It's just easier to find things on their site so people can see what I'm talking about. I did say they are also available from other places.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on August 02, 2016, 12:12:03 PM
It's just easier to find things on their site so people can see what I'm talking about.

Len

But 9 times of out 10, in my observance, you are directing people to Walthers. ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on August 02, 2016, 12:12:03 PM
It's just easier to find things on their site...

Len

Don't agree.  Their Search criteria/options could use some work.
Keep Calm and Carry On

mdp

brokenrail

Replace them if it is worth it too you with standard metal drivers like the rest of them. The parts department has plenty if you take the time to browse through the many.Then once installed,add as much weight to the loco in every nook and crannie as possible.Do ot create a stall issue with too much for the motor to handle.They have to slip a little just like full scale.This is the main reason why traction tires are no good for the drive line also the crud they pick up and spread along the rail head.
Johnny

jbrock27

He already answered that he is not attached to this thing.  Therefore not sure why he would feel it is "worth it".

Given the 99.99% likelihood it has a pancake motor, it would be plain foolish, in my view, to pump another dime into it.  Added weight and new wheel-sets is not going to result in a change to the motor and how the motor operates. ::)

BTW, it took me a while but finally figured out your comment to me some time ago brokenail about being a "spectator".  Sorry, just can't on this one.  ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

Yep. Seem to want to forget those pancake motors. Always lucky enough I guess to find a plus type version split frame with a can motor. They seem to do ok with good gears in them if that is a possible find any more.
Johnny

jbrock27

Pluses can be found all over Ebay.  Some even in their boxes with the plastic wrap still on them. :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

brokenrail

Spectrums can be found there sometimes also. Find some great deals if you hunt long enough,be frugal .
Johnny