News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help with turnouts

Started by scottmc94, November 29, 2007, 01:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmc94

I have read some of the messages that offered suggestions to how to wire turnouts when you have a EZ-Command controller that does not offer any connections to power accessories, but I am still a little confused.

I purchased the 00501 Digital Commander set and the E-Z Track Layout Expander Set NICKEL / SILVER HO Scale Track.

The E-Z Track Layout Expander included 2 remote turn outs.  The red cables included look to be what is connected to power, but I am not comfortable with cutting the ends of a "wall wart" to provide power.  Is there a power pack (if that is the correct term) for powering the bachmann accessories like turnouts that I can buy since the EZ-Command DCC controller does not include any ways to connect?

Thanks!

Scott

newguy

Hey scott,

Currently I am using a Digital Commander and E-Z track also. The way I power my E-Z track turnouts is with an athearn "power pack" or "controller" (whatever you want to call it.) The First train set I started with was an Athearn set. (see this link )
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200414378

It came with E-Z track and so it had the appropriate wires. You can problably go to your local hobby store and ask them for almost any brand of power pack. If they offer Bachmann products,  they will probably have the wires you need as well.

If you want to avoid wires coming from your turnouts, Bachmann now offers DCC equipped turnouts that you can control with your Digital Commander. This is the way I am going to go. I assume this is a very new product since the picture isn't even available on the Bachmann website nor have I seen them on any other site or hobby store. As of now, the retail price on the website is pretty expensive (no disrespect to Bachmann) but I will probably wait until the DCC turnouts are available on less expensive sites or ebay. Bachmann is really moving things toward wireless railroading.

Good Luck

New Guy

scottmc94

Thanks for the reply New Guy.

I went to my local hobby shop and asked them about my problem, and he suggested I get a accessory power pack (just a wall wart without the end   :) ).

I went home and wired it up and I now have switches working.  I wasn't exactly sure on the voltage because the wall wart had the option of 8v and 16v, so I wired the switches for 8 volt and they seem to be working ok.

Scott